Friday, February 15, 2013

Dumping a Dayful Day

Dumping a Dayful Day

One of the most wonderful feelings in the world to me is that of coming home. Just thinking about it, I relax, I smile, I feel “ahhhhh.”  I love home.

My home isn’t fancy, it’s very lived in. My home is full of stuff I love; art, books and projects, cat toys, music and instruments, crafting supplies, delicious food, lovely clothes. It’s also full to the rafters with peace. I find my home both energizing and relaxing. Being home refreshes my spirit, nourishes my soul.

Can you tell I love my home? It’s perfect for me.

It wasn’t always so. I’ve lived in this same place for almost 30 years. Amazing. And for the first fifteen or so I did not love home. I found it jarring, and stressful, demanding and uncomfortable, and somehow not good enough, fancy enough, elegant enough.

Poor me.

The more I came to love myself, the more I loved my home. That was surprising. And then, a beloved roommate inspired me to sit on my porch. That’s when things really started to change for me.

I sit on the porch every day, unless it’s precipitating sideways pretty hard. It’s open to the elements, and in Minnesota that can mean anywhere from -20F/-29C to 100F/38C or more. It’s exciting.

When I sit on my porch, I make the space sacred by my attitude. I’ve seen clients, I’ve led meditation sessions, hosted dinners, had long chats with my dear friends and neighbors.

There is one other thing I do on the porch that makes all the difference in the world. I let go of my day. I let go of the things that stressed me. There is nothing I can do until I get back to my Clark Kent job. Let it go. I celebrate my successes. There is always something, even if it was holding my temper. I appreciate the kindnesses done to or for me. I mark out the ones I want to acknowledge with a card. I notice the flow of life around me; the sights and smells, the sounds of birdies and traffic, I feel my feet grounded in my life, I soften my muscles, I soften my thoughts, I open my heart. I come home.

Sometimes it takes me ten minutes to come home, sometimes it can take over an hour. But I endeavor to stay on the porch until I’ve cleaned out my day, and can take off my emotional shoes at the door. I only want to bring into my house love and peace and happiness and enjoyment, not stress and disappointment and anxiety and fear and anger and sorrow.

I try to do the same thing when I am traveling, either sitting in my car, or in the lobby. I find I imagine actually taking off my emotional shoes and leaving them outside to air overnight. If it’s been a particularly dayful day, I will imagine taking off my emotional overcoat and leaving it out to air.

Treating our homes as a sanctuary for our spirit, making a safe haven, or retreat, helps us cope. If you have family members who are not with you in this, make your own sacred space where you can feel the presence of your perfect self, maybe a corner in your bedroom, or in the basement. It doesn’t really matter, the sacredness is actually within you.

How have I changed from bringing home all the detritus of the day, to leaving outside and coming in clean?

(c) Pam Guthrie 2013 all rights reserved 02152013

No comments: