Sunday, April 13, 2014

Creative Genius

Creative Genius

I’m always curious when people say that they aren’t creative. I always wonder what they mean. If we are human, without catastrophic brain issues, we are creative. It’s hardwired in.

We need creativity to speak. We need creativity to problem solve. We need creativity to decide what we are going to do, or going to eat, or going to anything. Deciding what we are going to do means imagining the future, and that means creativity.

Worrying is another wildly creative activity, if you see what I mean. Coming up with those awful scenarios takes a fertile mind.

Me, I would rather spend my creative energy coming up with how good things can be, how fun, how delightful or charming or magical.

Why am I so creative? Why do I use my powers for good? What makes me innovative?

As with any of our super powers, we have to cultivate the use of them, practice using them for good, since our inclination is to use them for ill.

What’s that you say, “Use them for ill?”

Oh, yeah. We have a lot of super powers; creativity, choice, decision, goal-setting, habit-forming; the list goes on, and each of those can be used to make our lives waay better, or much, much worse.

From time to time, I notice myself imagining confrontations with people. So-an-so will say this horrible thing, and I will say that, and then it will go on... And now, I am feeling tight in my stomach, like I’m actually in the situation. Because our subconscious doesn’t get the difference between real and imaginary. Hence the phrase, sick with worry. We don’t have one for sick with anger, or sick with fear, but we can do it all the same.

We will also start planning going to a substance or activity we indulge in when we want to escape from our emotional discomfort. We will imagine settling in with it, how good that first hit of whatever will be, be it a snort of something, or the little noises of our video game, or the first hits of our feet on the treadmill mat.  Anticipating that first hit, and then the numbing out is a big part of the kind of ugly pleasure.

In both situations, as soon as I catch myself making that plan, I use my creativity super power to change my thoughts. I go to peaceful and relaxed. Sometimes I can get there quickly, sometimes, it takes longer, but it always pays off.

Why am I peaceful? What makes me feel relaxed? How am I serene?

Creating that peaceful place inside, I am less inclined to have imaginary arguments with you, to put words or intentions in your mouth, to ascribe you with horrible attributes. Creating that peaceful place inside, I am less interested in retreating from my life into my soft, or hard, addictions.

How have I changed from ignoring my creative superpowers to using them for good?

(c) Pam Guthrie 2014 all rights reserved 04132014

How are you creative? Do you use your creativity for good? How do you feel when you are creative?
If you like what you find here, please + or share. Or both. Why are you so sweet?

No comments: