Saturday, August 17, 2013

Committed

Committed

Do you ever feel stuck? Like no matter what you do, you can’t make the change you want? Yeah, me, either. But I’ve read about it in a book.

We live the life we are committed to.

It’s sucks if you don’t happen to like it, but all is not lost. You have the power to make change.

So then the question arises, “What am I committed to?”

The answer is all around you.

What I complain about the most is often what I am the most committed to. I know, it’s irritating as all get out, but there you have it. Perhaps it is my horrible job. Or horrible relationship, or horrible debt, or horrible health, or horrible housing, or being horribly busy.

Why on earth would I be committed to something like that?

Researchers are finding more and more evidence that we have our belief systems pretty much locked in by age six. This is why it is so important to clean out our emo basements. As we look into that darkness, as we address and complete those old traumas, we change our beliefs.

Sometimes our commitment to a horrible job stems from how we were treated as small children; long, boring tasks, or nasty, bossy older-than-us people pushing us around, and we helpless to stop them.

Sometimes our commitment to a horrible relationship stems from  how someone whom we loved, with power over us, was cruel to us, or a parent, or another sib.

Sometimes our commitment to debt comes from a belief that people who have money are bad, sometimes it comes from a deeper commitment to getting stuff, or to avoid being taken from, and so on.

Each of us has our own reasons for our own commitments. That’s why we have to look into our deep self for the answers we want.

We can loosen our negative commitment’s hold on us with Creative Questions. How have I changed from (old commitment) to (what I really want?) What makes me committed to (what I really want?)

We can loosen its hold on us by getting to the initial mislearning and correcting it.

We won’t change it by beating ourselves up for the commitment.

We won’t change it through shaming or nagging or begging or complaining.

Because we have the power of choice, we can change our commitments. Because we have the power of choice, we can arrange our environment to remind us to choose what we want. We can choose where to put our energy, how to spend our time. We can choose to act effectively and efficiently and flexibly.

How have I changed from hating my commitments to committing with joy and enthusiasm?

(c) Pam Guthrie 2012 all rights reserved 08172013

No comments: