Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Too Poor to Pay Attention

Too Poor to Pay Attention

One of the little things that gives me a lot of joy is noticing my surroundings. I like to look around for hidden beauty, or funny things, or cute things. I like to notice the people around me, what they seem to be doing, how they seem to feel. I like to notice the weather, and whether it seems changeable. Paying attention to what is going on around me is fun, and it can be full of good information.

Paying attention means I usually know where my stuff is, purse, phone, keys. I pay attention to where I park the car. I pay attention when I am walking around, not only to where I am putting my feet, but where walls are, and doorways, so I hardly ever run into stuff any more. I also like to pay attention when I am walking to how my body feels. Am I walking through my body? Are my joints nice and loose or am I holding something tight?

When I lived in my head, I couldn’t pay attention because I was so somewhere else. I wanted to change that, but didn’t know how. I liked the saying, “I’m too poor to pay attention.” Yikes! Turned out, the way into paying attention for me was to look for found money, you know, coins on the ground. I will say that I have, over the years, found hundreds of dollars just by looking on the ground. I also stopped tripping over stuff. And I started to see things, as well, because I would scan my surroundings with attention.

Why am I aware? What makes me pay attention? Why am I alert?

When I was a little kid, someone in the space where my dad worked had a poster up that said, “Stand still and look until you really see.” I liked that so much. I think the part I liked the best was the stand still part. I hardly ever did, I still tend to fidgety. In fact, when I first started a meditation practice some decades ago, I gave myself the goal of sitting still for a minute, with no phone or music or reading. I lasted ten seconds before kind of exploding out from my chair.

How am I still? What makes me peaceful? Why can I choose to stop?

By paying attention to my surroundings, I often can figure out what to do. I see exit signs, I see check-in windows, I see elevators and escalators and room numbers. By paying attention, I often know where I am, and how I got there, so I can find my way out. By paying attention, I can often pick a quick line to pay for my groceries.

By paying attention, I remember what I read, I see what’s in the painting, I hear the music. When I pay attention, I hardly ever do impulse buying at the grocery store and usually end up with what I went in for. I can usually figure out what I want to do next. Paying attention keeps me engaged.

By paying attention, I am a better friend. I hear more of what you are saying, I remember more of what you are telling me. I learn to see your feelings on your face, on your body. I know when I need to disclose something to you. I know when to push, and when to back off, and when you just need me to be there with you.

By paying attention, I take better care of me. I can tell when I am thirsty, or hungry, or need a nap, or need to move around. I can tell at the very kernel of the start of a cold, and can address that. I can tell when I need some company, and when I need some solitude.

How have I changed from bumping my way to seeing where I’m at?

(c) Pam Guthrie 2014 all rights reserved 07162014

No comments: