Wednesday, July 24, 2013

What To Do When You Feel All Fail-y

What To Do When You Feel All Fail-y

Here’s a lovely thing to think about; how things used to be before you got so wise and stuff.

Recognizing where we’ve come from to get where we are is an important skill. When we take a few moments to reflect on our passage, several nice things happen. One, we give ourselves a boost, acknowledging our accomplishments. Two, we see that we really can make significant changes in our lives, in our behavior, in our thinking. Three, we see that, at our core, we are the same, and we are amazing.

I love to observe my ebbs and flows, which are especially easy to see in my qigong practice. I am very interested in the process wherein we feel awesome; accomplished, productive, satisfied, capable; and then, with more practice, we feel awkward, thick, fail-y, and incompetent.

It seems to me that I get the awkward feeling as I am transitioning to a new level of competency. I had it a lot as a kid, when I was learning new skills all the time. I usually go to “what’s wrong with me?” which is a terrible creative question. Put it on your list of Don’t Ask These Questions. Why am I successful? How am I accomplished? What makes me patient and gentle with myself?

When we are in that weird part of leveling up, it is a nice practice to look as far back as we must to see the depth and breadth of change we have made for ourselves. Perhaps you’ve quit a terrible habit like drugs or alcohol. Perhaps you’ve left an abusive relationship or a bad job. Perhaps you’ve transitioned from blaming victimhood to taking responsibility for your life. Perhaps you’ve made your bed for two weeks in a row. Whatever it is, however big or small, give yourself some credit.

Count it, acknowledge yourself. How do I know I am evolving? Why do I choose to change? What makes me proud of my accomplishments?

When we decide we want to change something in our lives, in our behavior, there are things we can do to make it so much easier.

Don’t Worry.
Don’t Intellectualize.
Enjoy!
Relax
Relax
Relax

When I open up my heart with these suggestions in play, things happen quickly, easily, and gently. When I open up my heart in this manner, my need to control and rein things in diminishes. I feel softer. I feel more receptive. I feel free, and somehow more connected or engaged.

So, let me officially congratulate you on your accomplishments. You have done a wonderful job, and we are all very proud of you!

How have I changed from feeling low and thick and inadequate to seeing the power of my own evolution?

(c) Pam Guthrie 2013 all rights reserved 07242013

No comments: