Thursday, July 25, 2013

Your Freedom Scale

Your Freedom Scale

What’s your freedom count these days? On a one to ten scale, where do you sit?

Freedom is a strange and fluid thing. I know people who are walking around, who could be doing anything, who feel locked up like a maniac in solitary, and have heard of people in hideous prisons who feel free as the birds in the sky.

Where do you sit on the freedom scale?

Family, home, work, activities, emotions, habits, thoughts, dreams. How does your stuff stack up?

Cuz here’s the thing. freedom comes from the inside out.

Am I spending time thinking about how trapped I am in my dead-end job, or my abusive relationship? Am I spending time thinking about how much pain I’m in or how much debt I have? Do I think about how I can’t instead of how I can? Do I spend time bitter about what isn’t instead of enjoying what is?

The quality of my life is up to me. You can find examples all over the Internet of people who have it way worse than we do, who still have lives they love living.

How do they do it?

They are asking really good Creative Questions. They ask things like, why do I love my life? Why do I enjoy myself? How is it so easy to have fun? What make me feel satisfied?

We can choose to be happy, we can choose to look up. We can decide that we will enjoy our lives. We can decide to feel free.

Freedom from the inside out starts with your thoughts. We need to start thinking in a positive and creative manner. How can this situation be an opportunity for me? Why would this make my life better? Why do I choose to feel free? How do I feel when I feel free?

How do I feel when I feel free?

That is a powerful question. Especially for those of us who feel trapped. This is one practice, to really let seep in deeply. For those of us who feel trapped, it may be like knowing what we don’t want, and having no idea of what we do.

Feeling trapped and knowing only what we don’t want, worrying our weaknesses,  will keep us small and sad.

Feeling free, knowing what we do want, building from our strengths, acknowledging our weaknesses, connecting with each other; these are ways we live our natural lives of happiness, peace, satisfaction, and prosperity.

How have I changed from jailing my life to choosing to live freely?

(c) Pam Guthrie 2013 all rights reserved 07252013

No comments: