Thursday, October 03, 2013

Body Love

Body Love

One of the funnest things about being alive is having a body. I mean, I’m all for thinking, and find that a blasteroo, but being present in the body is without compare.

Just think of all the fun you have with your body, just sitting there right now. How awesome is breathing, all the way in, all four lobes, bottom to top, and then whooooosh, out it all goes, over and over, refreshing your whole system with each breath. And that’s just breathing. When I am enjoying an Unlimited Breath session, wowie, breathing is glorious!

Then there is the whole digestive system, starting with eating, ending with satisfying elimination, to be a bit genteel.

And we have to consider how much fun it is to move! Stretching is so nice, and so are walking, and running, and dancing, and qigong, and kung fu, and yoga, and sex, and swimming, and climbing, and all of your favorites.

Scratching itches. Brushing hair. Touching nice textures. Hugs and kisses. Walking on a foggy street, snowflakes on the tongue. What makes me enjoy my luxuries?

Relaxing before going to sleep is the height of luxury. Even relaxing right now, just a quick run through from toes to head is nice. How do I relax?

Oh, yeah, a body is a very lavishly magnificent thing to have. Why am I thrilled with my body?

I get a little sad sometimes thinking about how long it took me to really appreciate my body.

In the dark ages, I punished my body brutally; starving it, cutting, beating, sleep deprivation, correcting and correcting and correcting.

Things happened when I decided to see my body as a luxury, rather than a prison, or chamber of horrors. I was so abusive to my body, if it had been able to, it would have left me.

As I came to enjoy being in my body, I got a little less twinge-y. I stopped using pain-language, and so I don’t suffer with “discomfort” like I did with “pain.”

I spend way more time aware of my being, so things are way more pleasant to experience in general. Walking down the hall at work becomes a bit of an event as I notice moving through my feet, the flex in my ankles and knees, the swing in my hips and shoulders, the sway of my spine, and my breath.

Until we evolve into beings of pure energy, we will have a body. As long as we have a body, we will have a much more enjoyable time if we can find ways to like it, if we stop ourselves when we notice we are not treating it well, if we appreciate, and love our bodies.

Our bodies support us, quite literally. It is our primary life-support. The more we appreciate our bodies, the more we treat them with love and kindness, the nicer it is to live inside them.

How have I changed from seeing my body as the enemy to loving the body I’m in?

(c) Pam Guthrie 2013 all rights reserved 10032013

No comments: