Thursday, October 10, 2013

Creating Opportunity

Creating Opportunity

Sometimes I crack me up. I have started today’s contemplation three times. The first time was snarky. The second time was dumb.

I’m hoping three’s the charm.

I pulled the “Why do I trust?” card this morning. How have I let go of fixing my life to allowing it to unfold?

Fixing vs. unfolding. Effortful vs. effortless. Tense vs. relaxed.

When I allow my life to unfold, I am assuming the best at the heart of it all. When I am fixing my life, I am focused on the brokenness. The situation I’m in can be the same one, the difference is in attitude, my point of view, my outlook.

When I am fixing my life, I am focused on the problem. I worry about it. I fantasize about how things will go. What if it turns out badly? What if it turns out worse than that? What if it’s so awful I could die? What if other bad things happen when I’m trying to fix this bad thing? What if I can’t do this? What if it all blows up in my face?

When I allow my life to unfold, I trust that I will find my way through whatever happens, and come out richer on the other side. I assume that. I expect that. I haven’t been disappointed.

It’s subject to my interpretation.

I would rather be relaxed and happy, thank you very much. So I choose relaxed. I choose to trust. I choose to feel safe. I choose to feel protected.

When I first started on this path, I thought that choosing to feel safe was dumb. Life is full of danger, am I right? Bad guys are around every corner. When I had that attitude, I ran into them often. Since I decided that I was safe, something happened and I mostly don’t. I mean, most people are good, am I right? Weird.

My attitude creates my world.

When I expect to find the bad, I find bad. I know the outcome will suck.

When I expect to find the good, I find good. I know the outcome will please me.

Stuff is always going to happen. Stuff that happens is neutral. I choose which way I will judge it. I choose to judge it as a good thing, or a bad thing. When I choose to find the good, I feel powerful. I feel competent, I feel uplifted and like I am contributing something to the greater good. When I choose to find the bad, I feel doomed, I feel depressed, I feel drained, and like the world is depleting me.
Next time something happens, you can play the game. Put on your creative genius hat, and ask yourself, “How is this a bad thing?” Come up with one or two answers. Notice how your body feels.

Now ask yourself, “How is this a good thing?” Come up with one or two answers, and notice how your body feels. If this seems challenging to you, keep at it. Believe me, it’s worth it.

How have I changed from being pissed off by the cloud to relishing the silver lining?

(c) Pam Guthrie 2013 all rights reserved 10102013

No comments: