Saturday, October 12, 2013

It's All for Me

It’s All for Me

The environment. We hear about it all the time, usually awful things on the news. Doom and gloom, lots of stuff to get us upset, or depressed, or even feel despair.  

Things shift a bit when we start to think of it as “my environment.”

My environment, in some important ways, is like an extension of my body. I live in my body, I live in my environment. My behavior has an impact on my body, and on my environment. My body can be well, or experience degrees of dis-ease. And, yes, the same in my environment.

When I didn’t know some stuff, back in the dark ages, I spent a lot of time correcting my body. I overtaxed it, underfed it, deprived it of sleep, abused it in many ways, and most of all, deprived it of love.

I felt like my body was my enemy.

Now, we live in our environment. How are we here? Are we trying to correct it, as though it is an enemy? As though it is out to get us? Overtaxing it, poisoning it, or overfeeding? I don’t need to draw the analogy out, you understand what I mean.

My environment is not my enemy, it is here to support my well being. Am I being as respectful of my environment as I am of my body?

I find that it helps me make decisions if I think about eating or drinking what I’m putting into my garden. I’m way more likely to use the least powerful, effective stuff.

I find that it helps me make decisions if I think about the child of a future generation unearthing my junk in a landfill, or a bird caught in my six-pack rings. What makes me considerate?

When I remember that what I do, how I do it, has an impact on me, on you, on my environment, I make better decisions.  Why would I care?

When I remember that the universe is here to support me, as is my environment, and my body, I feel really humbled. Am I making good use of my remarkable support? Am I making good use of my gifts? Am I being present in all this splendor? Do I let me relax enough to be aware of the awesomeness of my being alive, here, now?

When I soften, lighten up, relax; when I stop worrying, intellectualizing, and blaming, I am living my natural life. I am naturally happy, from the inside, I am naturally satisfied by what I do, I am blissed out by the beauty that surrounds me. I am productive and joyful. I feel connected and engaged. When I live my natural life, I am being a grownup, or evolved, or enlightened, or whatever you like to call it. I am naturally respectful of my body, and yours. I am naturally respectful of my environments. I am respectful and appreciative of the gifts I bring and the gifts I receive. I naturally take responsibility for me, my behavior, my thoughts, feelings, and beliefs.

When I relax into my natural life, I recognise the treasure I am surrounded by, and enjoy the heck out of it.

How have I changed from being oblivious, to appreciating my environment?

(c) Pam Guthrie 2013 all rights reserved 10122013

No comments: