Thursday, November 21, 2013

Being As Soaring Water

Being As Soaring Water

Here is a fundamental rule of the world: I cannot change you. Here is another fundamental rule of the world: I can change me. Here is a curious thing about those rules: When I change me, you often will change, too.

Hilarious! Sneaky! Effective!

How do I choose to change? Why do I surrender? How am I like water?

Water. When it comes to change, I would much rather be like water than a bulldozer. Water can seep. Water can flow. Water goes around, or under, or even drip through. When I am as water, nothing is much of an obstacle. I flow over broken glass, I flow around boulders, I flow through mountains.

If I don’t like the way my life, or my month, or my day, or my morning, is going, I can change it. I am powerful. So are you. Humans are powerful. We have amazingly creative minds. We can make ourselves crazy with worry by imagining horrible scenarios, or we can take the time to come up with solutions. We can create mental prisons for ourselves, or we can liberate our thoughts from the restraint of habit. We can focus on the discomfort in our lives, or we can choose to soar.

Me, I like soaring.

How do I choose to change? What makes me decide to change? Why do I surrender?

I am subject to bad moods, anxious times, feeling really blue; all the normal stuff, like anyone else.. The trick for me is to notice that I’m going there before I get all settled in and cozied up to whatever emo-crap I’ve got going on. Feeling bad isn’t Truth, it’s the result of crappy thoughts running over and over in our heads.

As soon as I catch myself going there, I do what I can to identify the thoughts, so I can change them efficiently and effectively.

The fastest, easiest way I’ve found to do that is with Creative Questions.

Sometimes, I can catch the thought easily, and go from the loop, “why do I suck?”, to “how do I know I’m okay?” Sometimes, I have to find the thought, and that can take a little more effort, “Why do I feel light and peaceful?” “NO!” “Why would I feel light and peaceful?” “I can’t.” “Why could I feel light and peaceful.” “I’m a screw-up.” “How have I changed from feeling like a screw-up to feeling light and peaceful?” “Um..” “How do I feel when I feel light and peaceful?”

Believing that I suck is a delusion. My circumstances may suck. My behavior may suck, but I am not my behavior or my circumstances.

Believing that I’m not good enough, or that I’m wrong, or that I’m bad, or or or, is delusional. At my core, I am perfection. I have goozh layered on top of my perfect self, from years of delusional thinking, abuse, trauma, betrayals, and so on. As I let those things go, I let go the delusion. And then I need to keep an eye on the old habit stuff, to catch it when it comes up, and choose to change.

How have I changed from feeling trapped in my bad thoughts to feeling free?

(c) Pam Guthrie 2013 all rights reserved 11212013

No comments: