Thursday, November 07, 2013

Lightening the Load

Lightening the Load

As a philosopher, I think about stuff. I thought about stuff before that, too, but I think I enjoy it more, now.

One of the topics I was thinking about recently is the difference between truth and Truth, being right and Right, and enlightenment. I have some notions to share with you.

Having been blessed with a number of mystical experiences throughout my life, it has been my experience that Truth with a capital T is really interesting, but not particularly useful.

Experiencing the oneness of existence doesn’t help when the washer is flooding the laundry room.

Becoming aware of my infinite divinity doesn’t help me decide what to wear to work tomorrow.

Flowing through the vastness of time and space is somewhat useless when I am trying to reconcile a financial document.

I am right when I know what I believe, and those beliefs support me and help me support you. I am Right when I hold an opinion with an iron fist regardless of the damage it might do. Hating stuff, or groups, is an example of this.

Feeling Right, does nothing for my spiritual development, especially if I make that little slip from right to righteous, in the sense of inflicting my sense of right onto you. I am of the opinion that if my sense of right hurts or harms you, I might wanna rethink it.

Feeling right, however, is really nice for my sense of confidence, sense of purpose, and sense of direction.

Feeling Right, is something I need to be aware of if it is causing me to steep in resentment, something I consider a gross waste of personal resources.

What I do find useful is enlightenment. Now, I will tell you that I used to think that enlightenment was something akin to flipping a switch and *bam* on came a light bulb that stayed on for ever and ever. Then, I thought that it was more like a flashlight that I could shine into the dark corners of my mind and ego, to deal with my emo junk.

When I stop worrying, when I don’t intellectualize, when I enjoy what I’m doing, and relax all the way through I feel light.

When I let go of my resentments, of wanting you, and me, to be different, and love and accept both you and me as we are, I feel light.

When I step out of my insulated cocoon of daily life, and see the world seething in all it’s weird gloriousness, I feel light.

When I release back into the stream all the stuff, of whatever kind, that leaves me feeling heavy, sad, afraid, or angry, I feel light.

Feeling light lets all sorts of lovely things happen. When I feel light, it is easy to be happy, to find bliss all around me, to have satisfaction in what I do, to love lightly, and deeply, and without judgment.

How have I changed from living a life of heavy darkness to laughing my head off in the light?

(c) Pam Guthrie 2013 all rights reserved 11072013

No comments: