Sunday, November 03, 2013

Living Easy

Living Easy

One of the priceless blessings of deciding to be a grownup is the fact that things are, for the most part, easy.

Maybe not always simple, but when I do what I’ve learned to do, easy is the way it goes. That in and of itself is not very useful information, and I like to give you useful information. So here goes.

Life is easier when I am aware of my resources. Because I live now, in an urban area, I am awash in resources.  I have family and friends, communities full of people who love to help, Because I am a grownup, I can ask for help when I need it and old feelings of being a burden or that I should be able to do it myself aren’t an issue.

How am I so resourceful?

Life is easier when I am not dominated by my feelings. When I let crappy thoughts run my life, life is hard. I have terrible feelings, sometimes even suicidal ideas. I think awful things about myself, other people and the world. I tell myself these thoughts are true. Because I am a grownup, I know I choose my thoughts, and when I notice that I’m thinking crap, I change my mind, and think on stuff that supports me, lightens my heart and shoulders, and energizes me.

How do I know I choose my thoughts?

Life is easier when I know I am not my labels. When I let my labels define me, I limit myself, cut myself off from aspects of who I am that can be wonderful to know. I am an infinite being, all the way in and all the way out. Because I am a grownup, I do not need to abide by artificial limits set by a label.

What makes me see that I am a divine creation?

Life is easier when I slow down a bit on the inside. When I am racy on the inside, I miss a ton of little things that refresh me during the day; a glimpse of beauty or humor in an unexpected place, catching someone doing a kindness for someone else, a compliment or appreciation, the list is varied and endless. Because I am a grownup, I can slow down inside and savor all the tiny moments that make life so lovely, and when I feel fresh, it’s all so easy.

How do I savor life?

The most important thing to do if you want your life to be easier is to decide that life can be easy: life’s a bitch, or life’s a beach; it’s up to you. Deciding that your life can be easy doesn’t mean that interesting stuff doesn’t happen. Cars break down, bodies have stuff, communications can wonk out, taxes need to be filed.

When I believe that life is easy and my car breaks, I have AAA, or good samaritans show up, or something else. I remember that I am in charge of my thoughts and feelings, and I choose to be light-hearted instead of a crabby-ass.  My helpers have fun with me, and it’s become easy.

When I have interesting communications coming up, I imagine how I want the communication to go. It’s weird, but sometimes, just spending a few moments imagining how I want it to go can be the difference that makes a difference.

When I trust that things can be easy, things get easier.

How have I changed from believing life is hard to knowing life is easy?

(c) Pam Guthrie 2013 all rights reserved 11032013

No comments: