Saturday, April 13, 2013

Happy Mind vs Monkey Mind

Happy Mind vs Monkey Mind

Why am I happy? What a crazy amazing, powerful  question.  Why do I love my life? What makes me feel light inside?

Why am I in a good mood? How do I find value in my day? What makes me feel so glad?

Everyone of us has stuff going on. more or less. The habits we bring to living our day will make the difference between going to bed feeling satisfied, and tossing and turning with burning thoughts hurled at us by our monkey mind.

Now, don’t get me wrong. I love monkeys. I love how playful they can be, how funny and entertaining. But when they get mad, boy howdy! They don’t fight fair, and they throw poo at you when they can get their hands on it. The last thing I want is for an angry monkey to be throwing poo in my brain. That’s just gross.

What do you love about your life? Are there certain people, places, pastimes, or possessions that make your heart sing?

What else do you love about your life? Do you have any favorite foods? Favorite music, or books, or movies? Maybe you have a game you love to play.

Are you feeling lighter? Or did you get the yabuts? I hate the yabuts, Instant buzz kill. You know what I mean, “You look so good today!” “Yah, but my hair is wrong.” “You have such a lovely family.” “Yah, but my job is hard.”

Do you see what’s happening there? When you deflect a nice comment, a compliment, for example, with a yabut, your monkey mind has thrown poo on it before you can savor it. Dang.

We even do it with our Creative Questions. Why am I happy? Yabut, I’m not. What do I love about my life? Yabut, my life sucks.  

So there has to be a way to get passed that, right? Right.

First step is always the choosing. Are you content with the way your life is? Or do you want a nicer life? If you said that you do want a nicer life, you can go to the next question.

Are you willing to change some stuff, to do some work, to make a little effort to make your life nicer?

What might you have to give up that you like now to have the nicer life you want? When I decided I wanted vibrant health, I had to give up feeling delicate. I had to give up feeling like I was entitled to special treatment of a wide variety. I had to give up feeling like it was okay to miss a lot of work, and to expect others to cover for me. Sometimes I miss all those sick days, but I sure don’t miss all that sick!

When I chose to be happy, I had to give up the excitement of emotional drama. That was part of the package, too, when I decided to be peaceful.

Then come with with good Creative Questions. Message me if you want some help with that.

Practice, practice, practice.

How have I changed from being okay with not bad to choosing to be happy?

(c) Pam Guthrie 2013 all rights reserved 04132013

No comments: