Thursday, April 25, 2013

Tailor Made


Tailor Made

My porch is my sanctum, my retreat, my favorite room in the house. And then, I walk in and am greeted by my sweet cats, my books and piano, my fireplace and artwork. Even when it is messy it makes me smile.

I love my home. It has sheltered me when my heart was broken. It comforted me when my body was broken. It has held my joy, calmed my fears, protected me.

It is a giant playhouse when I feel silly. It is a giant playhouse for the cats all the time. It is a library, it is a music warehouse, it is a fine bakery and cafe, an interactive garden center, a studio for many activities.

When I am home, I belong somewhere. For someone who felt for a long time there was no where I belonged, it is balm.

What makes your home perfect for you? Your cozy bed? That little nook where you can daydream? Your kitchen? The shower? Your chair? Your garden, maybe, in the backyard?

One of the joys of being aware is noticing how we feel in certain places. I think of it as internal ambiance. The feeling I have when Christmas is imminent, that rainy cool spring evening feeling that always makes me think of France even though I’ve never been there in March or April. The cozy fireplace feeling.

What are your favorite internal ambience feelings? Do you know what triggers them? It may be a scent, or a certain color of light, the way the rain is falling.

As we grow our understanding of what we like, and what we want, as we discard what we don’t want, or need, liking our lives more and more is automatic. The more comfy I am in my life, the more I tailor it to me, and the more I tailor it to me, the comfier it gets.  

My home is filled with things that inspire me. From art to music, from treasures collected over the years, a couple heirlooms, stoic plants, and so on, I see things I love wherever I look.

What inspires you? Do you feel moved more by images, or sounds, or smells, or textures? Do you have a heapin’ helpin’ of your inspiration in your spaces?

What makes you happy to have with you as you travel around? I used to carry a ton of stuff, and now I really prefer going light. As long as I have my camera-reader-game console-communication device, I’m good. I used to keep a lot of junk in my car; food wrappers, cans, and bottles, and cups, books, magazines, changes of clothes, shoes, boots, plus the stuff you should have, emergency kits and whatnot. Now, I don’t. And I tend to go through it whenever I get gas and toss the dreck. I even go through the carwash these days.

What inspires you in your workspace? Do you like it austere? Do you like a riot of color and texture? Or both? How do you work best? In silence, or with ambient noise, or entertainment purring through your earplugs? Have you claimed your space?

When we take the time to notice what we like, and then bring it into existence in our personal environment, we are taking charge of our lives in a significant way. When we know what we like, when we know what we want, and then make it happen, we are respecting ourselves in a way that no one outside of us can do for us. If you wanna go Law of Attraction, it will bring to us more of what we want.

How have I changed from settling for my environment as is to tailoring my space to my whims?

(c) Pam Guthrie 2013 all rights reserved 04252013

No comments: