Friday, April 12, 2013

Stuff Happens


Stuff Happens

Today I pulled the same card I pulled a couple days ago, namely, the “Why is all creation for my well being?” I don’t usually pull the same card twice in a week, so I had to wonder how it could be supporting us.

Here in Minnesota today two things are true. Thing one, it’s April. Thing two, it’s been snowing for several days. The snow is likely to stop, to be replaced by rain for a week, and below normal temps.

When outside is cold and grey and full of really slippery, wet snow when we are longing for buds and irises, how the heck is that empowering us?

You may not like what I’m going to say, but please listen. The faster you can get this, the deeper you let it into your psyche, the happier you will be with not one thing needing to change in your life. Not. One. Thing.

Stuff happens, like the weather, that is completely out of our control. That’s a Truth. (Remember, Truth is Truth for everyone, otherwise, it’s just truth.)

Stuff, like the weather, is neutral until we judge it, and then react to our own judgement. We’re so cute, creating our world, then reacting all over the place to it, except when what we are doing is killing ourselves.

Have you ever been around a drunk? Or a druggy? Even if they are pleasant, it’s kind of gross, really exhausting, and generally unsettling because, at least on some level,  you know you aren’t dealing with the real person, just this nasty facsimile. There is little or no emotional growth because so much energy is being used up by the addiction.

It’s the same thing with emotional addictions. The trinity of emotional addictions are misery, guilt, and worry. When we become addicted to one or more of these, our emotional growth slows way down. We can be working diligently at our readings, our study groups, our attendance at church, prayer, meditation, blah blah blah, but if we are also diligently practicing being miserable, suffering, riddling ourselves with guilt, and maddening ourselves with worry, we aren’t going to get very far in our other practices.

Stuff happens that is completely out of our control. That’s a Truth. How I respond it is my choice.

This is the part I want you to hear, absorb, and start paying attention to. How I respond is my choice. If I feel miserable, guilty or worried, I am choosing to allow addiction to run my life. I can’t change it with affirmations. By the time I’m addicted to these behaviors, affirmations won’t work. Creative Questions will help a lot. If I had gotten myself addicted to these, chances are good that I would benefit from some outside help. (I did. It did.)

Stuff happens. I choose my response. This morning’s snow fall brought up the happy-anticipation feeling of Christmas/Solstice for me. I decided to run with it, and the day so far has been lovely.

How have I changed from living in emotional addiction to choosing my responses in freedom and joy?

(c) Pam Guthrie 2013 all rights reserved 04122013

No comments: