Friday, May 17, 2013

Finding the Best




Finding the Best

Magnificent. Phenomenal. Splendid. Grand. Stupendous. Amazing. Delightful. Glorious. Pick two.

My two this morning are Magnificent and Delightful. Yes, that’s my life. Why am I so lucky. Why are you are so lucky. Why are we are all so lucky?

What’s that you say? You aren’t lucky? If it weren’t for bad luck, you’d have no luck? You have debt? You have pain or disease? You have relationship troubles? I hear you. I’m still lucky. It’s the old saw, “The pessimist sees the glass half empty, the optimist sees it half full.” I’ve got a new bit for it -- The Creative Questioner says, “Why am I so happy to have a glass?”

What’s that you say? Rejoice in having a glass? Oh yeah!

Having a glass of my very own, I can drain it whenever I want, and refill it with my favorite drink. I can let you have a drink from it. I can give some to my cats, my baby snails. I can send it halfway around the world, and still have my glass, and still refill it with my favorite drink whenever I want. Oh, what unmitigated luxury.

This is the basic rule. If you spend time thinking about how much your life sucks, what you will see is how much your life sucks. If you spend time thinking about how cool and fun and delicious your life it, what you will see is how cool and fun and delicious your life is.

We can’t pay attention to what we aren’t paying attention to.

If you think your life sucks, you will get more suckage. If you think your life rocks, you will get more rockage.

When I slip into the wah-wahs about how other folks have it better, I pull myself out, and think about how most of the world, most of the history of humanity would be overwhelmed by the quality, the level of comfort and luxury in which I live.They would marvel at my health, my physical safety, and the peacefulness that surrounds me. They would goggle at the quality of food, the sheer quantity available, and the relatively low cost.  They would be astonished at the leisure time I have. The list is extensive. You can imagine.

Oh, I appreciate my life. Why am I so fortunate?

So, right off the top of your head, what are three things you appreciate about your life right now? If you are so inclined, post them, or send them to me.  If you can’t think of any, I’m sad that you are focused on the suckage, and hope you choose the rockage.

When I started practicing this, I had to work hard at it. I had to sit and think hard. Sometimes, I needed help to think of one good thing. When you live in misery and lack, your world is quite tiny, and dark, and smelly.

Now, even the smell of apple blossoms on a soft spring breeze can make me feel like my life is so luxurious, so abundant, and absolutely delicious. (Without benefit of mood altering chemicals!)

How have I changed from seeking the worst to finding the best?

(c) Pam Guthrie 2013 all rights reserved 05172013




No comments: