Monday, September 02, 2013

The Friend in the Mirror

The Friend in the Mirror

Have you met my dear friend? She’s cool; smart, kind, generous, fun to hang around with. She’s got good ideas about stuff, too. I like how she takes care of herself, and her family, and communities, and her pets, I like how dedicated she is to the stuff she believes in. And I like that she treats me with respect and kindness, and goofiness.

I met her in the mirror.

Go look in the mirror your own self, I bet you could meet a wonderful friend there, too.

What a great place to practice being lovely with ourselves, in the mirror. So often, the way we talk to ourselves is full of negativity. We criticise, we nag, we scold. Imagine how we would feel if that friend in the mirror smiled at us, told us how good we look, wished us a nice day.

How do I feel when I am kind to myself?

When I treat myself kindly, I feel better. I feel loved, but there are other things, too. When I am kind to myself, I take good care of me. I feed me better, I move me around, like a nice walk, or some good stretches, maybe play with my hand weights, or dancing, because I know how much I love to dance. I show me lovely things, I dress me nicely. You see what I mean.

How do I feel when I treat me with respect?

When I am respectful to myself, I acknowledge my feelings, but don’t need to splash them around, because I’ve experienced them. It means I have way less apologizing to do.  When I am respectful to myself, I say “yes” better. When I am respectful to myself, I can decide what I will do, what makes the best use of my time for me and my family, and my other commitments. When I am respectful to myself, I know my limits.

How do I feel when I enjoy my own company?

When I enjoy my own company, I know what I like. I have opinions about things. I have taken the time to decide what I want, and I know that my goals are worth pursuing. When I enjoy my own company, I find value in spending some time by myself to meditate, or contemplate, to get to know me, to consider my world-view and to decide what I want to change.

How do I feel when I take care of me?

When I take care of me, I am aware of me. I am aware of my thoughts and feelings, I am aware of my body moving through my day and my space. I am aware of where I put my keys, wallet, and cell phone. I am aware of what I’m saying. I notice when I start to feel bad, and take measures to address it to bring me back. By taking care of me, I end up feeling good more and more of the time.



How do I feel when I am my best friend?

When I am my best friend, I trust me. I know I act in my best interests, with love and kindness. I will say “no” or “just do it now” or “choose something that makes you feel good” instead of encouraging me to squander my well being for a moment of gratification.

I will tell me things I might rather not hear, I will help me grow, and mature. I will help me deepen my other relationships,

Well, what a nice friend!

How have I changed from barely knowing the face in the mirror to loving it with all my hear?

(c) Pam Guthrie 2013 all rights reserved 09022113

No comments: