Saturday, September 21, 2013

You, the Creative Genius

You, the Creative Genius

One of my very most favorite things about being a human is being creative. Now, I will say that I am a very creative person. You are, too. We often discount our creativity because we don’t think of the channels where we use it as being creative channels.

What the heck am I talking about, you ask?

Well, like so many other things, the more we use our creativity, the more creativity we get. I’ve been writing to you every day for nineteen months. I wouldn’t have thought I could before I did. Here, my creative mind is a huge asset, and cultivating it in this arena makes me happy, and helps me stay focussed on what matters to me.

But we have places where our brilliant, creative minds do us a spectacular disservice.

Did you ever wonder how Stephen King came up with all those creepy, scary stories? If you think that he sat around in a lovely, cozy, sunny room with lemonade and cake, you're wrong. Poor Mr. King came up with those from his own, anxious worry, and terrible nightmares. He discovered that he felt some relief if he wrote them out.

He cultivated his anxiety and worry, and it almost killed him over and over. Poor Mr. King. At least he won fame and fortune, even if he was miserable.

When we are worrying, we are composing fictions. Unless we are writing it down and selling it for thousands of dollars, it is not benefiting us in the least. In fact, it is literally eating up our bodies. Worry, anxiety, and guilt are the cannibal emotions, devouring our physical bodies, our spirit bodies, our emotional bodies, and our mind.

They are the heartless, and heedless emo zombies. They make you feel like you are doing something productive, and don’t care that when they have killed you from within, they must find a new host body. There is always a new host body. Bwahahahahah!

Ok, I am being silly, but being creative in our worry and guilt is dumb. Stop it. And seriously, that’s what we have to do.

We can take ameliorating drugs, but they don’t change the thought habit, they only fuzz it up. It’s up to us to use our creativity to stop ourselves from going there.

I used a rubber band on my wrist and snapped it whenever I start into worry or anxiety. I would say, “Stop it!” outloud and then push my mind into something pleasant. I had to make lists of nice stuff to think about because I was so used to wallowing in dark, stinky places in my mind, and when I got into those places, there was no such thing as sunshine or joy.

When it’s the middle of the night, and you are lying in bed with the emo zombies chomping on your peace, and you can’t seem  stop them there, get up. It’s worth losing a little sleep to slay them. Make a list of things you are grateful for, or things you appreciate, or love, or things you like to do. Clean something, learn the words to a song you like, or a poem. I love you, but I cannot stop your emo zombies, only you can. Choose. Decide. Act.

By using our creative minds for good rather than for evil, we change our world at it’s innermost point, maybe by only one degree, but as that single degree moves out from that center, it encompasses more and more of our own life, and creates a happy and peaceful space for our loved ones and extended community as well. That’s means that when you choose to slay your zombies, you are saving the world.

You rock.

How have I changed from treating my emo zombies to the best of me, to using my creative genius to save the world?

(c) Pam Guthrie 2013 all rights reserved 09212013

No comments: