Monday, March 04, 2013

Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes

Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes

Who wants to make some life changes, raise your hand! Ooo, lots of hands.

Who accomplishes life changes easily and quickly, raise your hand! And not so many hands here.

Change is a challenge for many of us for a bunch of reasons. A big one is habit. Oh, man, do we have habits.

We have to have habits. They make our data-rich world manageable. If we were wide open to all experience all the time, we would just stand there, absorbing. Far out, man, but not very practical. So we learn to chunk our world down into bite size pieces and make that process a habit. It’s why we don’t see the gorilla in the room.

We start developing our habits almost immediately. And we have habits governing how we establish new habits. We also, as a species, seem to know very clearly what we don’t want,. but not so much what we do want.

That is the primary difference between a dream and a goal. A dream is, well, dreamy. I wanna be rich. I wanna new job. I wanna nice partner. I wanna be fit.  I wanna new house/car/tv/computer. We aren’t really going to get anywhere with dreams, except some nice dreamy time.

A goal, on the other hand, is clearly stated: I want a million dollars in the bank. I want two million in assets. I want to be able to live off that income, paying all my current bills plus, easily.

I want a job that is within 2 miles of my house, doing design work with a small company so that I can become a partner, and making $60k a year.

I wanna be able to do a hundred push-ups, two hundred sit ups, a hundred squats. I wanna be able to run 5 miles and not feel sick. I wanna be able to do pull-ups. I wanna have abs.

So then what? Then, we have to make room for our success. If I want millions, I need to clear out my lack-thoughts. I need to think about living with millions, not how am I going to ever pay off X. I need to get myself ready for success.

Asking Creative Questions like, How do I feel when I have three million dollars? How do I have three million dollars? Letting those questions, and the other ones you come up with, run through your mind all the time. You don’t have to do anything else; your behavior will naturally start to change as the questions become your normal habit. You will start making tiny changes, that will lead to bigger changes.

I may find that I have blocks to achieving this goal. It may be the case that I think rich people are selfish and shallow. If so, I may be sabotaging my efforts. Maybe I have the idea that I don’t deserve to be rich, or that being poor is noble. I can use Creative Questions to help uncover these, too.

How have I changed from controlling the outcome to surrendering to my natural life?

(c) Pam Guthrie 2013 all rights reserved 03042013

No comments: