Friday, March 22, 2013

O U Q-T! U R A B-U-T!


O U Q-T! U R A B-U-T!

I feel so sad when I hear people hating the way they look, the pain their voice when they list the features they don’t like.

We think because we don’t match some standard we have in our heads that we are ugly. Sometimes, we’ve learned to think that because one of our adults tells us that we don’t meet their standard. Sometimes, we learn to think that because a person makes an offhand comment, or criticism that we take to heart.

Sometimes, we do fit the standard, and have come up with the idea that we don’t. We do strange things with our food, we cut and carve into our bodies. We hate our hair; too much, not enough. Our eye color is wrong; we coat them with plastic. We dye our skin, or bleach it. We squeeze into compression garments, we totter on elevated shoes, we smear our bodies and faces with chemicals about which we know nothing. We collectively spend billions of dollars trying to satisfy a mis-learning.

It can’t be done.

You are an expression of Divine Love. You are Divine Beauty. Exactly as you are. Why do I choose to love myself unconditionally?

Take a moment to be still, and think of someone whom you love with all your heart, someone you love without reservation. Step deeply into that feeling of love until you feel it all the way through.

Got it?

Now, holding that feeling of complete love, see yourself in your mind’s eye, and let that tender, sweet love flow from you to you. No reservations, no conditions, no hold-backs.

How do I feel when I love myself completely?

It doesn’t matter if I am too short or too skinny or too fat, or my nose is weird, or my skin is wrong, or I can’t bench press my body weight, I can love my sweet self.

What amazing things happen when I make that choice.

I find that I start to let go of habits that don’t support me. I move away from people who don’t support me. I find it easier to take care of my loved ones. I want to give to others from my heart, instead of as a penance, or to prove I’m good, or because I’m supposed to.

When I can smile with love at myself, in the mirror, in my mind’s eye, I feel refreshed, as I do when another loved one smiles at me with love.

When I love me, I don’t need as much stuff, and I start to simplify. I see my worth, I recognize and value my gifts, and feel wonderful about giving them.

Not to say we don’t get emotionally overdrawn from time to time, or mad at ourselves. We aren’t going to be perfect, and striving for that will only make us nuts. Remembering to love ourselves, to smile that smile, to give ourselves a little encouragement, or praise, will go a long way to keeping us energized and happy.

How have I changed from saying hateful, judgmental things to myself to treating myself with loving respect?

(c) Pam Guthrie 2013 all rights reserved 03222013

(To understand the title, read each letter out loud.)



No comments: