Sunday, June 23, 2013

Ease is the Bee’s Knees


Ease is the Bee’s Knees

The only thing we really have control over is our attitude.

When I am going along with the flow, I nod in sage agreement.

When I am struggling upstream, I often utter a little blue oath when I hear it. Now, I’m sure that when you are struggling upstream, you say, “Oh, that’s right, I forgot for a bit,” and then you relax back into your lovely, natural life, release your negative, moral judgment about what’s going on, and feel your happiness burgeon forth from the eternal spring within you. But not me. I get a little bit stubborn.

I think it’s fascinating, this phenomenon, namely, that when we are fighting life, we feel like we have earned the right to feel crappy, like feeling miserable is a prize. I think that is so messed up, even when I’m feeling it. It’s a feature of fighting life, like when we are depressed we often feel like we are really always depressed, even if it’s underneath our happiness.

When I am fighting my life, I am clenched. I am miserable. I am often in pain. When I am fighting my life, I want, I lack, I suffer. And I have earned it! I want my crappy feelings validated! Oh oh oh.

It’s as though that suffery part of me is fighting for it’s life.

The suffery part of us is like kudzu in the garden of life. As a bit of savor, a little spice, suffering can be interesting, and can serve to remind us to relax back into the flow.

But if we let it, it will smother every nice thing in our life, choking and crushing our peace, severing our connections, and blocking out our joy. And if we let it, it will dictate our thoughts, like powerful, invading alien mind-control creating an environment for its own miserable self to thrive until we feel like isolated, chaotic, black-hole-filled, weeping robots.

Whew!

And I can deflect it with Creative Questions, like a mental lightsaber.

Why do I choose to lighten up? Why do I feel peaceful? Why am I calm? What makes me happy? What makes me grateful? How have I changed from choosing suffering to choosing my natural life?

When I decide to take responsibility for my life, I am agreeing to remember to lighten up. I am agreeing to deny the suffering entity a foothold. I am agreeing to let go of worry. I am agreeing to acknowledge my feelings, but not to clutch them. I am agreeing to acknowledge my physical experiences and sensations, but not to judge them.

I do all these things by relaxing all the way through. I do all these things by allowing my life to unfold. I do all these things by trusting the Universe.

I do all these things by choosing easy.

Easy does it.

Why is it all so easy?

(c) Pam Guthrie 2013 all rights reserved 06232013

No comments: