Friday, June 21, 2013

Living Richly

Living Richly

Leisure time, lovely weather, treating lunch, sparkly clean, bills paid, giving presents, going to the opera, pedicures, car wash, tiny touch of perfume; these are some of the things that make me feel rich.

What makes you feel rich?

I’m so not going to ask what makes you feel the other way.

For a lot of us, it is way easier to come up with the other list. It falls into the same category as listing what we don’t want. or selecting for only bad, scary news to focus on.

We hear a lot of smart people talking about human nature, like it’s a bad thing.

I think it is human nature to want to be the best we can be, to be happy, to evolve. I think it is human nature to strive to be more than we think we are.

It’s easy to say what we don’t want, what makes us feel lack, what hurts us, who has betrayed us, what horrors live in our nightmares.

It takes a little more to say what we want, what makes us feel rich, what gives us joy, who is trustworthy, what our living dreams are.

Make your choice. Like attracts like.

On the one hand, change is scary. On the other hand, we get bored.

On the one hand, feeling crappy is often familiar, on the other hand, with a little practice, feeling good is way easier.

On the one hand, we get what we pay attention to, on the other hand, we choose what we pay attention to.

I can change my life by changing what I pay attention to.

If I am paying attention to what I don’t want, guess what I get?

If I am paying attention to how much lack I feel, guess what I get?

If I am paying attention to how much people hurt me, guess what I get?

If I feel grateful for what I have, guess what I get?

If I pay attention to what I want, guess what I get?

It is a very simple thing. It just takes practice, like learning to walk or play the piano or drive. You could do it in your sleep. You just have to choose it, and act on it, and practice it. Put up notes to remind you. Write the keywords on a rubber band and wear it on your wrist. Make a recording of what you want and play it in the car.

Live the life you want.

How have I changed from believing in lack and want to revelling in my abundant and joyous life?

(c) Pam Guthrie 2013 all rights reserved 06212013


No comments: