Friday, June 14, 2013

Loving the Body Electric

Loving the Body Electric

I have danced on live coals in my barefeet and the skin stayed healthy (until I left the fire pit, and flipped a red ember onto the top of my foot.)

I have lain in freezing water, from which we had to clear ice, for an hour, comfortably, and with no ill effects.

I have felt hale and hearty at an altitude of over 3 miles.

I have completely recovered from being a pedestrian hit by a car when docs told me I would be using a walker by the time I was 55.

I am healthier at 57 than I was at 18. Seriously.

I love my body.

In the age of darkness, I spent an enormous amount of time and energy trying to correct my body. I only saw flaws. I only saw imperfections. I regarded my physical existence as unacceptable. I kind of hated my body.

My body acted like it didn’t much like me, either. It had migraines, asthma, chronic back issues, menstrual issues, fallen arches, shin splints, stress fractures, tooth pain, hives, and you get the idea.

We had a pretty abusive relationship, me and my body. Until I decided not to do that anymore.

Why do I love my body? What makes me treat my physical manifestation well? What makes my body so fun? Why am I happy to reside in this body? What does my body teach me?

When I decided to start listening to my own body, I learned so much about me. My body is smart. When I pay attention, my whole life gets better. I started paying attention to what it wanted for fuel, and it’s always delicious and fun. I pay attention to how it wants to move, and move that way. I am much better about sleeping when I’m sleepy, and waking refreshed.

I am learning what my body-generated sensations mean. For example, there is a specific spot on my head that aches when I am ignoring my own wisdom. How wacky is that. When I pause, think about what I know that I’m not paying attention to, and change it, the sensation stops instantly. Instantly.

So, how is your relationship with your body these days? Are you in a loving relationship full of movement, and play, and wholesome food, and rest? Or are you in a relationship where you are full of scorn or disgust or contempt for your precious body?

Imagine for a moment, how your life might improve if you changed from hating your body, criticizing, punishing, abusing it, to loving it, learning from it, and treating it well. How might you feel upon rising if you loved your body? How might you feel at meal times? How might you feel about exercise? How might you feel about living in your body?

How have I changed from treating my body poorly to enjoying a relationship of mutual love and respect?

(c) Pam Guthrie 2013 all rights reserved 06142013

No comments: