Tuesday, June 18, 2013

What’s the Point?`

What’s the Point?`

We are each here for a reason; do you have a sense of your reason?

We are each here with our own, unique set of talents and skills and experiences. Do you have a handle on yours?

We are each here to add something to the world. Do you have an idea of what you add?

I felt lost and adrift for so many, many years. I wondered what was the point of my being here. I wondered what on earth I could contribute to the world.

Here’s the sad thing:  I was already doing what I’m here to do, I just didn’t count it.

I have come to see my purpose as helping us live our natural lives. I have been doing that one way or another since I was a little kid, I just never counted it.

I thought that my purpose had to be deeply challenging; hard, actually. I thought I would have to suffer for it. I thought I would have to work for years before I would be able to act on my purpose, and all the time, there I was, engaged in listening and caring and sharing my wisdom and knowledge, which is the thing that I enjoy the most.

Maybe you have something like that in your life. Something you do so consistently that it is like breathing; or maybe even like blood circulation,so natural that  you don’t even notice you are doing it, but would feel horrible if you had to stop.

How can I see that which I cannot see?

Oh, isn’t that the trick, to learn to see that which we cannot see. It is one of the myriad reasons we have each other. You can see, and then tell me with loving kindness, that which I cannot.

When you offer me your point of view, and I attend to you, my world expands.

It’s kind of like our faces. The most expressive part of our bodies, and we can’t see it. I can see the sides of my nose, my upper lip if I shove it out, the tops of my cheeks when I’m smiling, but that’s it. It sure doesn’t let me know what I look like. And yet, learning to recognize my own face is a huge piece of learning for a little one, a beginning of awareness.

As we continue on our paths, we learn more and more about ourselves. We learn things we love about ourselves, and nurture those qualities. We learn things we do not love about ourselves, and correct those qualities. In that process, we come to discover what makes our hearts’ sing, what we love to do. And do it. Even if we don’t know we are doing it.

I thought I just liked to have deep conversations with interesting people. Like you. How’s it going? Have you noticed your purpose?

How have I changed from feeling adrift to recognizing and enjoying my purpose?

(c) Pam Guthrie 2013 all rights reserved 06182013


No comments: