Sunday, June 16, 2013

The Present or the Moment


The Present or the Moment

Where do you live? I don’t mean where in the world, although that’s pretty interesting. I don’t mean do you live in a sweet little house, or a handsome condo with a great view, although they are both pretty fun.

I mean, are you living in the past, or in the future, or do you live in the present?

I’m not talking about living in the moment-- that can get very weird. Like that line about living each day as if it were your last. I don’t know about you, but if today were my last day, I doubt I would do what I normally do, And, while I think that’s kind of the point, I think I would be making the rounds, saying goodbye. Or maybe have a huge party. Or go through the seven stages really fast. Doing that everyday would just freak me out, bankrupt me, and make my friends think I was nuts.

When I was abusing alcohol and recreational drugs, I lived in the moment, too. But I wasn’t living in the present, and I certainly didn’t feel alive. That was why I was using mood altering chemicals, after all.

Oh, the present. That’s where the action is. My life is vibrate, lush, dynamic in the present. My life is rich, and full, and rewarding in the present.

Sometimes, we feel like we are living in the past, or in the future. Those memories, those fantasies, are pale, no matter how vividly we imagine them. They are partial, incomplete experiences. I remember that bowl of delicious soup. but not the rest of the meal. I remember the beautiful interiors, but not where they were. I remember the lovely woman, but I have no idea who she was. Incomplete.

I am alive here, in the present. When I become aware of my physical presence, in my body, and then in my environment, I am becoming aware of my aliveness. As I experience what I am doing, as I engage with you, with my activities, and keep my awareness, I am present in my life. As I can let go of my negative judgements, and take my experiences as they are, I can become very interested, very curious, about how my life unfolds before me.

When I am interested, curious, and engaged, I have a rock solid formula for enjoyment. I have a rock solid formula for feeling alive.

I hear the motor boat sound, “but, but, but, but!” But I have problems! But I am in a bad relationship! But I have health issues! But my job sucks! Being present in my life is horrible, why would I want to do that?

This is graduate level stuff, so to speak, so listen up. Chosing to be positive and happy is a baby step. Deciding to live your life as a happy life is another step. Acting on that is yet another step. And then, we need to take responsibility for where we are, how we got there. When I take responsibility for my life, my circumstances, I am agreeing to some specific things. I am agreeing that I have made choices that bring me to this place. That I will do everything I can to learn what I lessons I can from these circumstances. That I will set about resolving circumstances as needed, and get help if it is beyond me. And that I will address these topics from a place of softness, relaxation, and enjoyment.

The weirdest thing is that, when I choose to live my natural life, these things are simply changes of routine, like making the switch to Daylight Saving time. It’s a little disruptive at first, and then you forget about it, it just is. Effortless, enjoyable.

How have I changed from fighting my life to enjoying my aliveness?

(c) Pam Guthrie 2013 all rights reserved 06162013

No comments: