Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Being Great

Being Great

You matter so much. You make such an amazing difference in the world. Do you have any idea of all the lives you’ve touched?

The honest answer is, not in the least. We can’t know. We can guess, but we do stuff everyday that has an impact on those around us, and then ripples out. The random smile, the words of comfort, the offer of help,

We all have bad days, when we are crabby, or rude. Sometimes others see us as being that way when we aren’t. In the grand scheme of things, meh.

Because, in general, I know you. I know you because you are here, and reading these words, that you are making an effort to make your life nice, and that part of that is being kind and present and aware out in the world.

I know that you often go out of your way to be helpful, or to offer a little comfort to someone who needs it, sometimes not even someone you know. I know that you try to give a little extra at work, at home, at church, or in your other communities.

I know that sometimes you feel unappreciated, or like no matter what you do, it doesn’t change anything. I know that some days you wonder how you will go on, doing all you do. I know your heart gets heavy, your shoulders sag, and sometimes you even get water coming out from your face.

I am here to ask you, “How do you know that you matter?”

What you do makes a difference, even if the people around you don’t acknowledge it. You do make a difference, even if you can’t see it. You do make a difference, you matter, you are special, and bring your special gifts to the world every day.

What’s more, you are here for a reason, whether you’ve figured out what it is yet. You are not just some random collection of genes and DNA. You have gifts and talents, you have developed skills and judgment, you have your unique combination of experiences, and your unique point of view.

I can spend the whole day saying how great you are, all the things I like about you, but my words, my appreciation, my love is useless to you, unless you feel it, too.

I have to find my way to feeling like I make a difference. I have to own that I am important. I have to recognize that I am special. How do I feel when I am important? How do I feel when I matter? How do I feel when I am interesting and engaging?

When I can start to feel that within me, that what I do makes a difference, I begin to be able to let go of needing you to validate me. I begin to be free.

As I start to own that I matter, I don’t need as much from the outside, so I have more juice on the inside. I can take better care of me, and then I can take better care of you, without resentment, without feeling ripped off if you aren’t somehow doing something to “make” me feel good about me.

How have I changed from feeling small to knowing I matter?

(c) Pam Guthrie 2013 all rights reserved 12112013


Creative Questions Cards are on sale 20% off through December 22. Buy your deck today. www.tinyurl.com/AmazonCQcards

No comments: