Monday, December 23, 2013

I Do Believe

I Do Believe

We’re right, you know. We’re right about all sorts of stuff. We’re right about all the stuff we think we are right about, except what we aren’t.

Huh?

We are so cute.

Right and wrong are fundamental to our being happy in the world. We need to know the difference, as our schoolteachers used to say.

Thing is, there is a certain degree of subjectivity involved. Morals, ethics, ethos, law, doctrine, dogma; we have a million ways to dictate our ideas of right and wrong to each other. The big strong ones are often the ones who get to decide on the law. They are often the ones who decide in our families, too. This can make things skew, putting some before others. It can create a lot of troublous situations for us down the road.

I have some fundamental ideas that I will share with you. Take what you like, and leave the rest, as the saying goes.

Truth is only Truth with a capital T if it is true for everyone. Every. One.

It is one thing for me to believe you are mistaken. It is another thing to believe you are bad. We are not our behavior.

People, at our core, are amazing and wonderful. Sometimes we get very far from our core. The farther we get, the stranger our behavior.

Thing is, we all think our beliefs are right.

It’s the nature of belief.

Thing is, a lot of our beliefs are bull bananas. (Do you like that, bull bananas? I made it up just for you.) We know that’s the case when our beliefs say that we suck, or that we are better than each other. We know it when our beliefs say that someone‘s self is bad because of what they believe, rather than their beliefs are bad.

Think is, while we can have really awful beliefs, still, we can change our beliefs. Really. We can decide what we want to believe. Really. A belief is an idea that we have rehearsed so much that it has gone deep into our unconscious minds, and affects our behavior and feelings from there.

We don’t much think about what we believe, because we believe it. we know it’s true. I need to start to pay attention to what I believe about how the world works. When I notice that I think the world sucks in some way, I have found a fixed delusion, a bad belief. I can poke around in it and find the deets, then I can dismantle it, and replace it with a belief that supports me, supports us, in living our natural lives of joy, bliss, satisfaction, contentment, and happiness.

Creative Questions are the easiest, cleanest, fastest way to get a new belief into play.

How have I changed from believing awful things to believing my life gets more wonderful all the time?

(c) Pam Guthrie 2013 all rights reserved 12232013

Remember to plus this if you like it. You can help grow our little community.

No comments: