Thursday, December 19, 2013

Let’s Hear it For YOU!!

Let’s Hear it For YOU!!

Whom do you admire the most? Is it a celebrity? A religious figure? A parent? Maybe a special teacher.

What do you admire most about them? Their looks? Their compassion? Their good works, or talent, or wisdom?

We cannot see in others that of which we are not aware in ourselves.

I know, right? That kind of blew me away, too. Until I have an internal experience of something, it’s as though it, whatever it is, doesn’t exist. I have to say it again, that blows me away. We didn’t exist in each other’s lives until we did.

In the bad ol’ days, I remember saying to my beloved teacher, “I just want to feel ok.” It took me years to get there, and when I finally did she said, “When you first came to me and said that, I knew you didn’t have any idea what that even meant; to feel ok.”

Until we have had the experience, we have no concept, even with a great imagination.

Back then, I also didn’t really have any heroes. I felt like I sucked so thoroughly, that the world was guilty of sucking by association with me.

For many of us who have come out of abusive situations, or may still be in them, the idea of being admired or honored, is alien and strange. We may see it happening for other people, perhaps on TV, or in our communities, but we don’t quite comprehend what is going on.

Or perhaps we had the experience of feeling admired in the past, and can’t quite get there anymore.

How do I feel when I feel admired? How do I feel when I am honored?

Why do I admire me? Why would I honor myself? How do I honor myself? What makes me approve of me?

Regardless of what is going on out there, I can hold that space for me, where I feel valued and appreciated, admired, and honored. I can become my own hero.

When I am my own hero, I can protect me from a lot of crap. I can stop me from feeling abused. I can notice and appreciate my accomplishments. I can value my talents and gifts. I can practice falling asleep saying kind things to me.

As I get used to hearing me treat me with honor, respect, and admiration, I will shift the color of my world a little bit. It will grow a little rosier, a little brighter. I will feel better, and, amazingly, you will treat me a little better.

The world will require it.

And I will find more and more amazing people, with qualities I love, to admire, honor, respect, and resemble.

How have I changed from being a wad of suckage to feeling admired and honored?

(c) Pam Guthrie 2013 all rights reserved 12192013

No comments: