Monday, December 16, 2013

Running on Full

Running on Full

Okay, so here is something that I’ve noticed in a lot of us. We take time off, but we don’t take down time. What’s the deal with that? It’s truly as silly as saying, “I don’t have time to stop for gas!”

It boils down to this. Each of us, from time to time, needs to vacate our life. Vacation, vacate, neato, huh? Pretty much anything can become routine and “normal.” The more routinized we get, the less we have to pay attention, and the next thing you know, it’s three months later and you wonder, “what the heck, where did the time go?”

Time doesn’t fly because we get older, time flies because we stop paying attention to it.

Isn’t that interesting?

Time doesn’t fly away like it used to since I learned about this. All I have to do is pay a little attention to the day, the week, the month, the year, every day. I tend to do that sitting on my porch, looking at my little slice of nature.

But I digress.

Digressing from what we normally do refreshes us. It’s like hitting a reset button. All I have to do is either something I’ve never done before, or rarely, or something really different that I really like, and, BAM, I am ready to go again with awareness and presence and joy.

So, on the one hand, there is the old saw, “A change is as good as a rest.” I love it, and live it.

On the other hand, sometimes one man’s change is another man’s routine. For me, the difference between washing dishes at home, and at the cabin isn’t enough of a difference, although I know it may be for you.

For me, I live in landlocked Minnesota. I like a nice ocean for my change. Or a mountain. Or both. I’m not picky.

But I digress.

Go go go is wonderful for getting things done, but, unless I am in a big avoidance thing, I need to stop and run in neutral for a while. I used to think I did that when I watch TV, but came to discover that watching TV wasn’t really all that relaxing. It is definitely distracting, but for relaxing, I kinda need to read, or knit, or sit. There are tons of non-TV things to do, and don’t get me wrong, I love to watch TV, but when I need to vacate, other stuff is better at leaving me feeling refreshed.

Sometimes, a nap will do it, sometimes a little drive, or a visit with one of my darling and beloved friends, some of whom are also family. Taking a few minutes to spend admiring my pet snails will give me a quick refresh, as does taking a moment to look out the window. As I practice building these little moments into my life, I find that I can get stuff done, and still take a moment. It’s as much about my attitude as anything else.

How have I changed from go go go to filling my tank before it hits empty?

(c) Pam Guthrie 2013 all rights reserved 12162013

Two things. Thing one, if you like this, please plus it. Thing two, Creative Questions cards are 20% on Amazon through Sunday. www.tinyurl.com/AmazonCQcards.

No comments: