Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Supporting Wellness

Supporting Wellness

Why am I healthy? Isn’t that a nice question. How do you think about your health? Do you have health or do you have sickness? That, my dear, is a very powerful distinction.

The concept of walking on the sunny side of the street has been showing up for me a lot lately. I like that song, and have since I was a kid. The sunny side is often just a step or two away, but so often we think we can’t get there because we have X.

I am not my behavior. I am not my body’s behavior, either. I am a divine and infinite being. I impose limits on that all the time with my thoughts, and many of those are unconscious. So what do I do about that?

Am I having a lot of emotions about physical discomfort? Fear, anger, sadness, disgust, contempt; each of these, when we are feeling them about our bodies for any length of time, will bring a flood of hormones that cause our bodies to have stress reactions on top of whatever discomfort we are experiencing.

Experiencing our feelings as they arise, and then letting them move through, keeps us clear. When we ignore those feelings, they will build and build, and actually turn into physical symptoms.

I watch my language, for one. Am I using wellness language or illness language? There are some interesting subtleties in our language around wellness. The same way that Creative Questions have results built in, words have experience built in. When I have a problem, I start from a disadvantage. When I say my sickness or my disease, I own it and that means it is mine to take care of on some level, like a sofa, or a puppy. It’s one of the reasons we talk about taking out the trash rather than our trash.

How am I well? Where do I feel good? Why would I choose health?

One of the curiosities of our minds is that we can’t do everything at once. When I am fully engaged in a task, for example, I will often forget that I have a hurt. Where did it go? Why did it cease to trouble me? This gets easier when I have not laid claim to the situation, to stop attending to it, that is.

How do I enhance my wellness? What makes me strong? Why am I so resilient?

Choosing our health care providers is another biggie. Does my provider want to treat my illness? Look at that phrase. It’s the same one we use when we are going out for ice cream or a massage. If anything, I want to treat my health!

Providers in many modalities will have a wellness or a sickness propensity. It is up to me to notice whether this provider understands that I enjoy more wellness through positivity. Treat my wellness, and mitigate the discomfort. Lavish my health, help me banish the imbalance in my body.

When I choose to own my wellness, I step over to the sunny sun. I can have more fun, I can enjoy more, I am less dictated to by the current imbalance in by physical being.

How have I changed from supporting sickness to enjoy the health I have?

(c) Pam Guthrie 2014 all rights reserved 06352014

No comments: