Monday, July 22, 2013

The Forest of My Own Making

The Forest of My Own Making

Appreciation. This one can get complicated. We will see how many hands it takes to sort it out.

On the one hand, self-appreciation ought to be sufficient for us.

On the other hand, we are social beings and appreciation is something we show each other to indicate acceptance and belonging. It’s a form of social currency.

On the third hand, stuff can get in the way of our feeling appreciation and gratitude, and we end up feeling entitled.

On the fourth hand, if we aren’t open to it, all the appreciation in the world won’t make a difference.

Well, that’s a good start.

Recognizing the value of what is around us, recognizing the value of ourselves, not just on a kind of rational ledger sheet, but also in our deep selves; appreciation comes from a sense of contentment, being satisfied with what it at the moment.

It is one of the reasons that some people have a hard time finding it.

When we are racing, going all the time, thinking a thousand thoughts, it’s challenging to feel appreciation, much less to sincerely express it.

When we are absorbed in our own selves, we can’t see past the forest of our making. When we get focused on the forest of our own making, we don’t feel gratitude, we don’t appreciate, we don’t much feel connected, or engaged, or satisfied.

In fact, the more focus we put on the forest of our own making, the more likely we are to become dissatisfied, unhappy, and even miserable.

Yikes.

I don’t know about you, but I’d rather feel differently.

I want to feel connected, and engaged. I want to feel joyful and happy. I want to feel productive and satisfied. I want to feel contentment and gratitude. I want to feel appreciation for my inner world, and my outer world. I want to feel appreciation for you. I want to feel appreciated by you.

Letting each other know when and why we appreciate each other is a gift. Letting that in when it is given to us is another gift. When we feel that what we do is appreciated, it makes our tasks light.

How have I changed from focusing on the Forest of My Own Making, to showing and feeling my appreciation?

(c) Pam Guthrie 2013 all rights reserved 07222013

No comments: