Monday, August 12, 2013

Cuz Wakin’ Up is Hard to Do

Cuz Wakin’ Up is Hard to Do

Practice awareness, win valuable prizes. What’s that you say? Valuable prizes? What kind of valuable prizes?

Self-knowledge, understanding of others, patience, peacefulness, clarity, happiness, to name a few.

There are, of course, levels of awareness.

I assume that, because you are here and reading this, you are at least somewhat aware. So what am I going on about?

Well, for one thing, being aware lets us notice when we shift from feeling good to feeling crummy. If we are lucky, we can catch the thought that flipped us there, and correct it. Why would I choose to feel good?

Being aware helps us remember that feeling crummy is a habit, not Truth. (Truth is that we are amazing, shining, glorious creatures who are brilliant, and creative, and loving.) Yes, some people have brain chemistry depression, but many of us have situational depression; a horrible job, a bad relationship, family discord. There, it’s a good thing to change the situation. But I digress.

When I am aware, I notice my thoughts and feelings. I am aware of my behavior. I am aware of my body.

When I am aware, I see you. I hear what you have to say, and consider it. I am interested, and choose to engage.

When I am aware, it is easier for me to meditate, because being with myself isn’t a strange thing, I don’t feel like I have to follow my thoughts, because I’m used to having them. I am comfortable being quiet inside.

When I am aware, I find a lot of stuff to celebrate every day. I see beauty in unexpected places, I hear nice things, I appreciate my body, I feel love and connection with you, and I want to help you make your life nicer.

When I am aware, I see stuff that happens to me as opportunities instead of abuse or punishment. I am delighted that I get a chance to dump an unsupportive belief, or correct a mislearning.

When I am aware, I want to move my body more, I can feel that it wants to stretch, or jump around, or dance or or or.

When I am aware, I notice my creative feelings, I notice my loving feelings, I notice my generous feelings, my kind feeling, my grateful feelings, my appreciative feelings. When I notice them, I feel good.

When I am aware, I want to stay present. That means I feel alert and awake, regardless of how much sleep I’ve had.

When I am aware, I have more fun. I will take that for a bottom line.

How have I changed from being asleep to being aware?

(c) Pam Guthrie 2013 all rights reserved 08122013

No comments: