Tuesday, August 20, 2013

I’m a Lucky Duck

I’m a Lucky Duck

I have a little peeve to share with you. That is, people saying to me, “You’re so lucky!” about something that I’ve worked my butt off for.

So let’s talk about luck.

We know now that we are creating our environment all the time with the thoughts we have and the choices we make. We take that as a given.

What does that do to our notion of luck?

We tend to think of some people as lucky, and others as unlucky. What we don’t see is all the behind the scenes stuff. We don’t see how they each create a space that attracts what seems to be good luck, or what seems to be bad.

In days of yore, I was very good at bad lucking. Bad luck jobs, bad luck debt, bad luck health, bad luck boyfriends. I had bad judgment, and made bad choices. I felt plagued by bad luck, and had neither a sense of personal responsibility, nor did I get that I was encouraging bad stuff to happen to me. It took a beloved teacher ten long years to help me see what I was doing.

I made my own bad luck. It’s not that I wouldn’t see the flashing red warning signs, the red flags, it was simply that when I saw them I was drawn to them rather than try to avoid them. If given a choice between two attractive men, I would choose the one who seemed like he needed help. Oy. If two equivalent jobs were offered, I would take the one with the troubled boss. Oy. If I had the choice between taking care of my health, or staying up all night or abusing chemicals, or starving myself, well, you see what I’m talking about.

Oy.

Now I make space for good luck. I see the red flags as warnings and keep my distance. I have a job I like with people I love. I take care of my health, my money, my relationships.

I have such good luck!

Another element of making space for good luck is commitment. I really wanted to go to Hong Kong for my 40th birthday. Only thing was that it would cost me a third of what I was making annually running the coffee shop. But I made the commitment, and lo, the “good luck” started showing up. I saved up like crazy, talked about it like crazy, and friends and family started helping me realize the trip of a lifetime. I’ve now had three Trips of a Lifetime and expect to have more.

When I commit to living a life full of good luck, full of fortune, full of wonderful surprises and miracles, guess what I get? When I spend time each day noticing my good luck, my fortunate things, my wonderful surprises and miracles, I get grateful.

One of the most wonderful things in my life is my relationship with you. What a difference you make for me, and I appreciate that in you so much.

How have I changed from believing in bad luck to making room for miracles?

(c) Pam Guthrie 2013 all rights reserved 08202013

No comments: