Friday, March 14, 2014

Spirit Banquet

Spirit Banquet

Every so often I like to think about the fact that we are made out of stardust. That’s a very profound notion to me, and a very romantic one. And by we, I mean everything.

Hand in hand with that, I like to think about the fact that we are all just molecules and atoms,  and some kind of stuff that holds it together. I like to think about how there is so much relative distance between those atoms in things we think of as solid.

That gets weird.  

I am a collection of molecules held together by some mysterious something.

One of the activities I enjoy pretty much every day is putting more molecules inside me, which my molecules do stuff to, and then I produce stuff made out of molecules. We call it The Digestive System. I think it’s hilarious.

So, when it comes to consuming food and drink, and other stuff,  we all have a lot of ideas. We have ideas about what is good or bad for us, and we often extend those ideas to others, too.

In a world where we may feel helpless, making food and beverage choices, drug and vitamin-type choices,  is a place where may feel like we feel we have some control. Or we may feel like we don’t.

How do I have the right diet? What sustains me? How do I transmute all I consume to nourishment?

Many of the results we think we are having from food and drink come about from our attitudes. It’s an interesting concept to try to get our heads wrapped around. I am nourished or sickened as I believe. And while there may be exceptions to that, it’s been my experience that it’s fundamentally true.

Why do I choose? What makes me wise? What makes me know me?

I love to think about Breatharians, who claim to draw all needed nourishment from the air. Or sages who live in caves and subsist on a few herbs, and maybe some tea.

I like to think that the mysterious stuff that holds my molecules together is related to spirit. I believe that spirit holds my essence in this collection of molecules, and that spirit is the bulk of what sustains me.

I have also come to believe that food doesn’t make us fat, and exercise doesn’t make us thin. Our relative sizes start in our minds, and manifest in the world. I’ve got stories.

So we can learn a lot about ourselves by looking at our patterns and notions around nourishment, sustenance, fitness, and physical being in general. We may have ideas that people who are of a certain weight and build have more value that people without that build. We may have judgments about their habits, or qualities. And whenever we find ourselves thinking “better than or less than someone else,” we know we have some inside work to do.

How have I changed from negative judgments around sustenance to knowing it’s all good?

(c) Pam Guthrie 2014 all rights reserved 03142014

If you like what you find here, please share or + it. Thanks, Why do you know you make a difference?

No comments: