Monday, July 28, 2014

In Me I Trust

In Me I Trust

I have mentioned our superpowers before. I like the concept. It goes like this.

We all have characteristics as part of our personalities. In and of themselves, they are neutral, that is, they are neither good or bad things, they just are.

Our experience of them changes depending on how well we utilize them as tools to support us.

Empathy is a good example. I’ve worked with a lot of people who are quite empathic, that is, they pick up on and feel what someone else, or a group is feeling. When they don’t know they are empathic, it can make them feel crazy. They start to feel angry when they were calm, they are suddenly anxious when nothing seems to have changed. Or really sad when they haven’t had a loss.

When they come to understand their gift, they can use it to help whoever is feeling those feelings, or to read a group. They can acknowledge that they are feeling something from someone else, identify it, let it go, and get back to their own feelings. Then they can choose to help the other person, clarify what is going in in their group, or if the circumstances are such that it might not be a good idea, they can move on. By taking responsibility for their power, they claim it and it becomes a superpower.

Why am I powerful? What makes me take responsibility for my gifts? How am I competent?

Creativity is another potential superpower. We may feel like our creativity is hit or miss, that sometimes we feel creative, and other times, we feel dry. When we own that we are creative, practice our creativity every day, it’s like grading a cow path into a road. It is easy to get there, easy to reach our creative source, and easy to draw from it whenever we wish. Creativity becomes a superpower.

How do I know I am creative? What makes me ingenious? Why am I capable?

Trust is a potential superpower many of us have some issues with. We may have a history of trusting untrustworthy people. We may have a history of assuming that things don’t go our way. We may feel unlucky, or doomed, or helpless.

Why would things go my way? How do I feel present and safe? Why can I trust?

My biggest challenge was learning to trust myself. I often trusted abusive people because I didn’t want to hurt their feelings. Seriously. As I learned to trust my instincts, my wisdom, my senses, I felt more in charge of my trust. I didn’t have to give it to anyone who asked for it any more than I had to give cash to anyone who asked. As I owned my feelings, I didn’t worry so much about hurting yours. I came to understand that I couldn’t make you feel hurt. You, just like I, have choices about how you want to feel.

As I have come to trust the Universe to bring me the opportunities I need to grow, my life has gotten way easier, way more fun. I no longer fear that a string of good things means that something bad is going to happen. I understand that the stuff that happens in my life is neutral until I judge it. I trust that I can cope well, that I have resources, that I can accept, and enjoy at least in some way, whatever comes to me.

How have I changed from doubting me to trusting myself and my circumstances?

(c) Pam Guthrie 2014 all rights reserved 07282014

No comments: