Thursday, July 03, 2014

Picky Picky Picky

Picky Picky Picky

Everyday I have the opportunity to transform my life. From the moment I wake up until I fall asleep, I have the opportunity to choose. Sometimes it is a pretty neutral choice, like whether to have coffee or tea with breakfast. It can be a choice we barely notice, like whether we greet the day with a smile or a frown.

Tiny choices all day long.

Why can I choose? What makes me decide? How do I pick my path?

When I choose to start my day on an upbeat note, I will make my tiny choices to support that. When the little snafus happen, like dropping the toothbrush, they make me laugh instead of pissing me off. I can do my routines, but with awareness, so I can change them up if they aren’t working as best they can. I can remember that I like you before I start kvetching at you.

I get to decide.

When things happen, I get to choose to flow with them. I start by practicing with little things like changed plans, dropped stuff, computer foul-ups, misunderstandings. Then, when the big stuff shows up, I automatically choose to flow with it. And life is easy, and I can have fun, and it’s all good.

Why is it so easy? Why do I enjoy myself? How do I know how to choose?

When I choose to stay sad, or blue, or depressed, I don’t have fun. People disappoint me. Stuff goes wrong, I feel misunderstood, sunshine feels mocking. I have a difficult time feeling productive, I often don’t sleep well. and the list goes on.

I also make bad decisions, choices that keep me stuck, and stuck often means that I just sink deeper.

Sometimes, I feel like that because I am keeping myself in a bad situation. And I get the idea that I can’t leave it. Can’t. That’’s what I chose for years, can’t. I can’t do that, I can’t leave him, I can’t go there, I can’t can’t can’t. It all just sucks.

Victim. Martyr. It’s all your fault, and no one else can do what I can do. Except when I can’t.

The way I get out of it, the only way, is to choose. I have to decide that I am going to make my life nicer, and do what it takes. I may need some help, I will need to change some of my favorite bad beliefs, I may need to lose some relationships. Misery buddies don’t support a nice life, they adore to rehearse the bad stuff, so I will have to break up with them. There have been times in my life, twice, when I had to leave a group of misery buddies. I got lonesome, but I felt way better.

Choosing to smile, choosing to look for the good, choosing to seek out the hidden fun, choosing to connect, choosing to engage, is all my choice. The more I choose that stuff, the easier it gets, the nicer my day goes, and the faster I remember to chose it when I can.

How have I changed from choosing the dark side to choosing the light?

(c) Pam Guthrie 2014 all rights reserved 07032014

No comments: