Friday, February 28, 2014

The New Head Honcho

The New Head Honcho


Happy card came up again today. When cards show up frequently, I know we have some work to do on the topic. So here is my question to you:


Do you believe me when I say that happiness comes from inside us? Do you believe me when I say that our point of view, our judgments, decide whether a thing, or situation is good or bad, that they don’t have an inherent plus or minus grade? Do you believe me when I talk about how we can choose our natural life, full of bliss and peace and satisfaction and contentment?


Or do you think, “Oh, that Pam. She’s full of beans.”


Changing our ideas about how the world works can be really challenging. Being willing to consider that everything doesn’t suck, being willing to buy into the notion that the world is a nicer, kinder, better place today than it has been takes a leap, takes trust. On a smaller scale, believing that we can change our lives, change ourselves, may seem impossible. Believing that we can live a nice life, with activities that satisfy us, in a peaceful, fun environment, and people who love us, whom we are crazy about, may seem impossible.


We have the power.


We limit ourselves with our notions, we hold ourselves back with our ideas, we imprison ourselves with our thoughts. We mislearn our fundamentals as tiny children, and then keep finding junk to support those mislearnings as we get older, until we are so mired in our own cesspools of bad ideas that we can barely see the good. Okay, that might be a little bit strong for a lot of us, but it sure was the truth for me.


My thinking was like this. I am doomed. I am doomed to live in a sick and pain filled body. I am doomed to only have abusive people for friends. I am doomed to work crappy jobs for peanuts. I am doomed to poor sleep filled with nightmares, to feel right at the edge of suicidal most of the time. I am doomed, well, the list went on.


I wasn’t doomed, I was choosing to believe my mislearnings. Simple. And all I had to do was change my beliefs.


What makes me feel good? Why do I choose a nice life? What makes me decide to live in new ways?


Why do I choose to feel well? How do I trust my body? What makes me find my health?


How do I choose good relationships? Why am I supported? Why do I engage?


When I begin to assume things will work out for me, when I believe that I am fortunate, when I decide that stuff goes my way, things shift around inside me. The events of the world don’t necessarily change, but my experience of them shifts dramatically.


I find gratitude, I find appreciation, I find that I feel blessed. When I get those feelings, I feel bliss easily, I feel joy easily. I enjoy what I do, and I can do what I enjoy. People may not treat me better, but I don’t take things personally, I don’t take on abuse, I don’t derive my self-esteem from their opinions.


How have I changed from letting my childhood self run the show to taking charge of my life?

(c) Pam Guthrie all rights reserved 02282014

No comments: