Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Shining On

Shining On

All sorts of wonderful things happen for us when we commit to become grownups, to evolve into our best selves, to enlighten our lives. We find more “luck,” and love, we find more opportunities for joy and bliss seems to follow us around like a happy, housebroken puppy.

We also find our wisdom, our deep understanding of how the world works, how we work. The more we come to know ourselves, the more we know about relationships, about finding solutions, about relaxing into peace, comforting both ourselves and each other. We find that we are more interested in each other, how we feel, what we think.

Curiously, we find that, the more we come to know ourselves, the more we seem to find that the details of our particular story are less important than they used to be. We are less interested in labeling ourselves as damaged, or broken, and so on, and more interesting in resolutions, and resolvings, appreciations, and gratitude.

We find that worry or fear are no longer as interesting a pastime. We find that we would rather look for the gold than the rot, to anticipate good stuff, to relish the silver linings.

We find that we have more compassion, not only for each other, but for ourselves. We find things to respect about each other, qualities we value, moments we treasure. We stop assuming the worst, and give each other the benefit of the doubt, and are amply rewarded most of the time.

Forgiveness comes more easily, too, not only for our people, our past hurts, but for our own stuff. We make amends where we can, and then let it go.

We listen better. We love more easily. We notice and let go of our negative moral and emotional judgments more quickly.

Wow, Why are we so astounding? What makes us such good people? How do we open so much.

There is a promise from 12 steps that I adore. We will intuitively know how to handle situations that formerly baffled us. O, I think I wanted that more than anything. And may I just say this: It rocks. I wonder if, when we let go of all that fretting about stuff, we have more room in our brains to find solutions out of our consciousness, we don’t even have to think about it, they are just there. However it happens, I like it.

What makes me wise? How do I value my smarts? How do I know I am bright?

We also find that we start to take our wisdom for granted. We assume it will be available to us when we need it. We count on it, and we find that we can count on our people most of the time. We find that we have more and more people who want what we have stepping in with us, supporting us, and the people who don’t, the ones who choose to stay stuck, or to continue suffering, to stay miserable, well, they sort of drift away. Sometimes, we are blessed with the miracle of those sad folks changing their minds, and coming to join us, and that is a day for celebration.

In fact, as I claim my wisdom, my insight, my smarts, I see something worth celebrating everyday, and make room for that little celebration. It may simply be a blessing at a meal, a moment to consider all the lovely things that have happened, and it might be a full-on party.

How have I changed from feeling thick-headed and dim to owning my brilliance?

(c) Pam Guthrie all rights reserved 02182014

No comments: