Sunday, January 13, 2013

Mars or Eden?

I’m going to ask you an imagination question, so I want you to get ready; sitting comfortably, nice and relaxed, open your mind, breathe some good, refreshing breaths.

Ready?

How would you feel if it were revealed to you that your whole environment was designed to support you in the best, most efficient ways to help you live your most wonderful, natural life?

Okay, some of you are laughing a little hysterically. Some of you look like you are crying. Some of you have just dismissed it as nonsense. Some of you look mad or scared, and some of you look interested.

Cool.

Here’s the thing. We can feel like we are  living on Mars without a spacesuit, or in Eden with couturier fig leaves, and it mostly happens in our minds.

I live in Minnesota and we have weather. I can rail against the heat or the cold, the rain or the drought or the sleet, or I can find ways to enjoy it. I wonder which would feel better?

I live in a thriving metro area, and we are experiencing a ton of construction. I can let it make me crazy, or I can think of it as the soundtrack of prosperity. Hmm. I like prosperity.

I work and play with a lot of interesting people. I can judge them as wanting sense or sanity, or I can look at them as my teachers with valuable lessons to make my life glow with joy and grace. Frustration and angst or joy and grace -- I wonder which one I would choose?

I am a part of my environment. Am I bringing to it clarity and joy, open-heartedness and wisdom, or am I bringing grumbles, whining, misery, meanness, miserliness, and a stubborn heart?

If we don’t evolve, we devolve. Are you striving upwards, improving your life bit by bit, or are you shaking your head and feeling overwhelmed. If it’s the latter, I have to tell you, things don’t stay the same, you encourage them to get better, or they will get worse, and it’s all in your hands.

Please ask yourself this question, “What am I doing to evolve?” In my experience, those efforts make me feel a little challenged, and very rewarded. Are you doing things that leave you feeling like that?

How do I appreciate my environment? Why do I value the individuals in my life? What did I learn today?

By thinking of my environment as having been designed to support me, and some days that include the physical environment of my body, I am looking for the support, so I find it. I am looking for the lessons, so I learn something. I am looking for the love, so I feel loved. You can do this. You deserve this.  Decide, and start practicing.

How have I changed from feeling imprisoned to finding the lessons, the  love, and support?

No comments: