Friday, March 29, 2013

Toilet Thanks


Toilet Thanks

When I was a kid, my adults would often admonish me to “count my blessings”. When we were traveling it was, “Think of the poor pioneers.” Stupid pioneers. Stupid adults. Didn’t they know how hard my life was? Didn’t they understand? What blessings? They would tell me I was an ungrateful child. They were right.

Expressing gratitude was a heinous chore, only to be undertaken with days of cajoling, shaming, and sometimes bribery. Stupid gratitude.

Took me a long time to get grateful. Poor me. Took me a long time to get peaceful and happy, too.

If you feel like you are not a grateful person, listen up: It is doable. It is worth the effort.

Start by finding one thing to feel grateful or appreciative about. One thing. Then feel it. FEEL it. “How do I feel when I feel grateful?” “How do I know I am appreciative?” “What makes me thankful?”

I really appreciate indoor plumbing, for one thing. All the inventive minds who figured out how to get hot water to go upstairs -- my compliments.

I am feeling accomplished today because I fixed my toilet. Took me a couple days, and some research. Who ever figured out how to make a toilet flush, thank you. And to all the plumbers online who wrote such clear instructions, thank you.

Sometimes I think about how most people have lived for most of the history of the world, but sometimes I feel ashamed at all that I totally take for granted.

Sometimes I think about how people in the third world live, and I appreciate my life, but sometimes I just feel guilty for the amazing material life I have.

Sometimes I think about the poor pioneers, and I appreciate the ease of my life, but sometimes I feel a little envy at their adventures.

So, for me, it takes a little fiddling to get the gratitude right, and not feel like I should be punished for all this largess.

And it takes some practice not to feel deprived or envious sometimes, when I see others as having stuff or circumstances I want.

And each minute of effort I put into feeling grateful is worth it. It is an attitude. Attitudes come from our brains. They are mostly habitual, so if I feel bad, I’m usually running a bad thought-habit, and that means I can change it. The faster I catch it, the easier it goes. And the more I feel grateful, the more I have to be grateful for.

Today, I would like you to send me one thing you are grateful for, or appreciate or thankful for. Do it now.

How have I changed from whining to appreciating my wonderful life?

(c) Pam Guthrie 2013 all rights reserved 03292013


No comments: