Tuesday, June 04, 2013

Committing to Life

Committing to Life

You know the old gag about the cup being half full or half empty. We all know that gag. But I think we all miss the point, at least as I see it.

I have a cup.

I can fill it with whatever I want. I can drain it dry, and fill it again. With whatever I want.

Whatever I want.

And here we are again, at a question so surprisingly difficult for so many of us to answer, namely, “What do I want?”

Interestingly, what we want, and what we are committed to, are not always the same thing.

We discover where our commitments lie by looking at our daily lives. Am I committed to chaos or peace, drama or serenity, health or dis-ease? Am I committed to wholesome relationships? Am I committed to a delightful job? Prosperity? Ease? Joy?

It can be shocking to look at our lives and see the opposite of what we think we want filling our days. Taking that step into self-awareness can make a huge difference for how we live.

Because, of course, I make my commitments.

So what do we do? How do we bring our lives into alignment with our wants and goals?

Creative Questions will help so much, And so will getting really clear on what you want.

How do I know what I want? Why can I choose? What makes me decide?

How have I changed from committing to X to committing to Y?

Why am I so committed?

I know I have changed my commitment from negativity to positivity. Sometimes it surprises me that the positive is so automatic now, when it used to be that I would have to really work to get there. Sometimes it surprises me that I feel compassion when I used to feel NMJ (negative moral judgment.) Sometimes it surprises me when choose to jump around when I am beat, when I used to just go to bed.

How do I know what I want?

Give yourself the gift of knowing what you want, and committing to realizing it. Give yourself the gift of watching your life transform into the life you love. Give your loved ones the gift of seeing you realize your goals with grace and joy and confidence.

How have I changed from commitments to ick to choosing my commitments with awareness and joy?

(c) Pam Guthrie 2013 all rights reserved 06042013

No comments: