Monday, June 03, 2013

On the Team

On the Team

I must say, the phrase “team-player” used to make me feel icky. It reminded me of the abusive physical education teachers I had. Later, it was a phrase bandied by managers, for mysterious purposes that had very little to do with mutual support and a lot to do with taking care of the manager.

I have shed those weird experiences with it, and now I find that I really like it.

Together, we make it happen. “It” can be a lot of things. “It” can be the thing you need some help with; housecleaning, pet or garden tending, fundraising, car washing.”It” can be running your home, keeping the office on track, supporting a sick friend.

Sometimes, we are part of the team.

Sometimes, we are the leader of the team.

Sometimes, we are the recipient of the team’s good work.

Working together is how we get stuff done, whether we like it is almost irrelevant. We need each other. Even the hermit who spoke to no one for twenty-seven years had to get stuff from other people. Granted, he stole it, but there you go.

We need each other. So how do we work together?

I find it easier to work for goals I can support. If I want to accomplish something, or want to help you accomplish something, the doing is way more fun than if I don’t care. It’s one reason to find a job where it’s purpose aligns with your own.

I find it easier to work for goals with people I enjoy. This isn’t always necessary, but I like to work with people, not in spite of them, so I do what I can in this area.

I find it easier, when things get challenging, as they sometimes do, to ask myself, “Why am I choosing to do this? Why is this my choice? Why do I enjoy what I do?” and other questions in a similar vein.

I find it easier, for me, to be in the loop. I want to know what’s going on. I like to think about what I’m doing, it keeps feeling a part of it.

I’m a good leader, but I don’t always need to be a leader. I’m a good follower, too.

When I am a good team player, playing with a good team, I feel accomplished. I feel connected, and engaged. I feel like my special skills and talents are being put to good use, and I can often forge friendships that are so nice, and helpful.

When I am a good team player, I appreciate the contributions of my team members. Appreciating that makes it easier for me to appreciate a lot of other stuff, too. Like you. I really appreciate you!

How have I changed from pretending I can do it alone to being a willing team-player?

(c) Pam Guthrie 2013 all rights reserved 06032013

No comments: