Friday, October 18, 2013

We’re in the Money

We’re in the Money

How are you rich? Do you have a fine collection of antique clocks? Or maybe a Rembrandt squirrelled away in your closet. Perhaps your bank accounts keep the country running, or you have, as the song says, diamonds on the soles of your shoes?

Me, I discovered that my life is rich beyond measure.

Back in the before times, there were people in my life who told me to count my blessings. I can’t even tell you how much I hated that. Who did they think they were? Couldn’t they see how horrible my life was?

So I acted happy, and pretended everything was okay, and inside I was sour and cynical and sick. And I did not value much of anything.

After all, counting blessings was so square, lame, and geekly. Being depressed and miserable was cool. All the best artists were depressed and miserable.

I was in good company. Except for one thing.

It sucked.

And on some level I knew that I was going to have to give up the idea that “being happy” was lame.

My first glimpse into a possible future of happiness for me was the author, Colette. Oh, my. She was happy. She loved her life and lived it so well. I wanted that.

As I changed my opinion about happy people, I started to find appreciation and gratitude for the people and stuff in my life. And with that sense of thankfulness came a sneaking awareness of how full of treasure my life had become.

I’m not just going on about my priceless jewels of friends and family, or the treasure of health. I’m actually talking about cash money, bread, moolah, greenbacks, cheddar, ducats, and dead presidents.

How do I feel when I am a lady of means? What makes me feel rich? Why do I enjoy my abundance? Why do I prosper? Why am I grateful for my riches?

As I pay my bills, I find myself feeling grateful for the services they provide. I don’t know about you, but I am absolutely crazy for electricity and heat, and cool, depending on the season. I love the freedom my car gives me and the joy I feel driving it around.

The weird thing has been that the more I appreciate what I can do with my cash, the more easily it seems to come to me. How do I double my income?

Another weird thing, the more freely I can give, the more easily it seems to come to me. What makes money flow to me easily?

A third weird thing is that, as I let go of how it should come to me, it shows up in ways that I would never ever have thought of. Most recently as a class action settlement. I mean, really. Why am I open to money?

How have I changed from feeling poor and pinched to feeling luxurious and generous?

(c) Pam Guthrie 2013 all rights reserved 10182013

No comments: