Tuesday, October 22, 2013

What Awareness Did For Me

What Awareness Did For Me
By Pam Guthrie

Do you remember theme papers? Do kids write themes anymore? Well, that feeling, of writing a theme, hit me this morning when I pulled the Awareness card, and I suddenly had a little flash of being in fourth grade.

For someone who loves learning as much as I do, I really hated school. I don’t recall doing much daydreaming, but I do recall becoming hyper-aware of my surroundings, looking for all the little oddities I could see; curled corners, chipped paint, cracks in the walls, ink stains on the wooden floor from past generations of children.

I remember watching the other kids, wondering what life was like for them. There was the sullen boy who sat behind me, whose boots stunk of cow manure. When I complained to the teacher, she said that he had to milk the cows before he came to school, and put them to pasture. All I had to do was get up. That smell meant something very different after that. He was still sullen, and I don’t think he ever spoke to me, still, I felt respect for him. But I digress.

Being observant is part of being aware, but it isn’t awareness.

When I am aware, I know what emotions I’m feeling and what feelings I’m having. I notice my behavior, I’m cognizant of my thoughts. I see you, read your body language, the pitch and timbre of your voice, although that may be unconscious on my part.

When I am aware, I am in my environment, I have a sense of what is going on around me.

Being aware isn’t about being hyper anything.

I can be truly aware only when I am relaxed and peaceful in my core. Often, my mind is quiet, I’m not thinking about being aware, I’m not thinking about what I am seeing, hearing, smelling, or any other sensations, I am in it. It’s like letting experience wash over me, as my thoughts flow through my mind.

When I relax as I pay attention to you, I see so much more of who you are. I see your micro-expressions, your true emotions, without all the feelings on ‘em. I clue into your body language. I hear meaning in the tone and timbre, the pitch and inflection of your voice, not just the words you say. When I relax I absorb more of how you process the world. It makes you so much more vivid to me, more real. More dear to me.

When I am relaxed and present, I can savor my life. I may be moving fast on the outside, but I’m slooow on the inside, so I can take it all in. I can see the little secret beauties that fill my environment, I taste my food and drink, I enjoy feeling my body as I dash down the street.

And, when I am relaxed and present, I’m not reacting all over the place. I can respond to my life as events unfold. I have time to remember to set aside my negative emotional judgments, and view events as neutral. Neutral events don’t require anywhere near as much energy as CRISES do, so I am simply tired at the end of the day. So I can sleep easily and wake up refreshed.

Why is it all so easy?

How have I changed from feeling all cranked up inside to relaxing into easy, peaceful awareness?

(c) Pam Guthrie 2013 all rights reserved 10222013

No comments: