Monday, October 21, 2013

Choosing to Do

Choosing to Do

Over the years I’ve learned some stuff. As a first kid, a big sister, and coming from a long line of teachers and preachers, I love to share the stuff I’ve learned. Since you are here, I will share with you, and hope that you may find something useful therein.

When I am feeling meh, or really flighty, or otherwise scattered, There is a good chance that  I’ve got something up that I am probably trying to keep down. Subconscious material that I’m fighting. That effort often makes me feel scattered.

Hmm.

I like to feel clear and focused, aware and alert. Oh, and joy. I really like to feel joy. When I can identify the thought I’m trying to avoid, it usually fades and I can get back to my normal self. How do I know I am safe?

Sometimes when I am feeling meh, or having trouble getting something done, it’s about procrastinating. Procrastinating, with it’s weird little thrill of danger that can be so addictive. If I can notice that I am procrastinating, I can often unchoose it.

Now, here is an interesting thing about procrastination. It’s not the activity that makes procrastination, it’s the feelings. I can be reading or watching TV and feel clean and comfortable. It is what I am doing. But, when I am procrastinating, it’s a very different experience. I am not just watching TV or reading, I am reading and feeling guilty, and feeling sneaky, like I’m trying to get away with something, and often feeling like a bad person for not doing The Thing.

So one thing that really helps is when I actually choose to do what I am doing. If I think I am procrastinating, I can identify the pattern and then short circuit it by doing something else. For example, if I go to texting on my cell to avoid doing stuff, by shutting my phone off, and putting it away, I can stop the procrastinating in it’s infancy, and choose to do something that I will enjoy doing.

Starting, doing, and finishing a project is very satisfying, way more satisfying than the icky feeling of procrastination.

Sometimes we are great starters, but our follow-through and finish are weak. Sometimes, it’s challenging for us to take that first step, but once we do, get out of the way. Sometimes, we start easily, follow-through beautifully, but seem to have trouble finishing.

The more we come to know ourselves, how we do our projects, how we work through the different parts, the easier it is for us to change them, to make it all easy.

As we grow up, and take responsibility for ourselves, our lives, as we clean out our superstitious behavior, lighten up our thoughts and feelings, we get better with our projects. We are a little choosier about what we take on. We take a little more care with them, from start to finish, and we feel a lot more satisfaction in the process. We find that we are choosing our commitments with more thoughtfulness. We consider the impact and consequences, and enjoy them a whole lot more. We find that the ones we used to think of as chores shift some and we find reasons why they become a pleasure.

How have I changed from hating to do what I have to do to finding the pleasure and joy in everything I do?

(c) Pam Guthrie 2013 all rights reserved 10212013

No comments: