Monday, January 20, 2014

How to Know Thyself

How to Know Thyself

I studied Greek Philosophy in college. I loved reading Plato and his stories about Socrates. What a weirdo he was, but I liked his questions. And I liked his idea of knowing one’s self. He would have loved Creative Questions.

I also read something back in the day that said something about enlightened people have no unconscious material. I like that, too, although I don’t know that I agree.

Knowing myself goes beyond what my favorite color is, and what my politics or religious beliefs are.  It goes beyond knowing how I’m likely to respond in a given situation.  Like, I’m one of those people who stays really cool during a crisis, and shuts down afterwards.

Why do I know what I like? How do I respect me? What makes me aware?

What are my secrets? Have I told at least one trustworthy person, not necessarily the same person, all of them? Have I done the same with the challenging things that happened to me? Have I processed and integrated those feelings so the memories are clean? And have I forgiven me, and the others?

Why do I forgive? What makes me compassionate? What makes me feel clear?

What are my patterns? My patterns at work, my patterns in my family? My patterns in my relationships? What things that I don’t like happen to me over and over? How do I feel around authority figures? About what do I say, “I always...” and “I never...?” What are my patterns that make me feel bad?

What do I think about me and money? Me and luck? Me and relationships? Me and work? Me and challenges or crises? Me and health? Me and sleep? Me and discipline? What are the things I say to me about me and these things? Do I say things like, “I can’t, I never, I don’t, I always” and feel bad about it?

Where are my resentments? Who am I blaming? Where do I lay fault? Where do I shirk? Or where am I taking responsibilities that are not mine?

What are behaviors I have that I’m proud of? Do they support me and you? Or just me? What are the behaviors I have that I’m ashamed of? How do I feel about people? Are there people I have strong, negative feelings whom I don’t know? What are my favorite things to have negative emotional judgments about?

What are the ways that I spend my time that make me feel good? Where do I feel productive? What inspires me? How am I motivated?

I know these are really advanced concepts. I mean, when I started on my path, it took me a couple years just to figure out what I had been feeling last week when you said that thing to me.

It’s totally worth it. Even if you are starting where I started, with no idea at all of who I was. Uncovering my unconscious mind is a process. It takes practice. I will often feel challenged by it, but when I remember that everything in there is something I've already lived through, I do better. When I remember that I only gain by my efforts, more of who I am, more depth in my relationships, more bliss, more peace, I do better. Becoming aware of who I am will make a nice difference in the quality of my life.

How have I changed from ignoring who I am to becoming the person who knows me best?

(c) Pam Guthrie 2014 all rights reserved 01202014

If you like these contemplations, please remember to + them, and get the word out! Thanks!

No comments: