Monday, November 18, 2013

How to Want

How to Want

Wow, this topic is showing up a lot lately. When they show up over and over, it’s usually my cue to pay close attention. Maybe it’s your cue, too.

How do I know what I want?

Now, I don’t buy it when I hear people blaming stuff on human nature. I am, rather, of the opinion that we have stages of personal evolution. One of the points of our existence, in my opinion,  is to evolve individually. To outgrow our bad behavior, our cruelty to each other, our diffidence, our general jerk-ness. We have to choose to grow up.

Low vibration life fumbles through with the phrase, “I don’t like this, I don’t like this,” on it’s lips.

Middle vibration life is less fumbly, and says, “I don’t like this, maybe I do like that.”

High vibration life moves confidently, and says, “This is what I want. I can easily and happily live with this.”

How do I know what I want?

Now, once I have taken some time to figure out what I want, the next thing I need to do is make space for what I want to show up. People who are good at this are called “lucky.”

Lastly, I need to take some action to bring what I want to fruition. What kind of action will depend on what I want.

Meanwhile, sometimes I have trouble figuring out what I want. Then what I do is pull out a notebook, and start writing out the list of what I don’t want. Looking at what’s on that list will often suggest the shape, at least, of what I do want. I write it with a pen on paper, instead of on the computer, because writing with my hand on paper is a much more complete experience, I am way more engaged with pen and paper than I am with tapping plastic keys.

So why does it matter, knowing what we want? Well, we can call it the Law of Attraction, or we can call it Filtering, or any number of things, but the working part is that we pretty much get what we put our energy into.

If I spend a lot of my time thinking about what I don’t want, or don’t have, or can’t do, I end up with what I don’t want, don’t have, and can’t do.

Therefore, it behooves me to clean up my thinking. And, it is so worth it. It’s way easier for me to have positive thoughts when I have uplifting goals.

My new favorite quote is by Deepak Chopra: Every time you are tempted to react in the same old way, ask yourself if you want to be a prisoner of the past or a pioneer of the future. The way I become that pioneer, that adventurer, that innovator, is by changing my old ways for new ways, by staying current on my wants, by owning my outstanding results, and by relaxing, enjoying, and allowing my life to flow as it will.

How have I changed from staggering blindly through my life, to knowing what I want, and knowing I can have it?

(c) Pam Guthrie 2013 all rights reserved 11182013

No comments: