Friday, November 22, 2013

The Lap of Luxury

The Lap of Luxury

Being a human is so cool. For one thing, I have language, which makes a huge difference between me, and say, my snails, or even my cats. Having language means that I can think about abstract concepts, work my way through knotty problems, imagine like crazy, and totally change my experience of the world with a few thoughts.

In my training, we called it “reframing” and that’s a fine term. Basically, it’s changing our point of view. Cultivating our imagination superpower will change our whole freakin’ life.

Feeling glum because I got scolded at work today for a mistake? I can work it and work it until I am depressed and pissed off, resentful, and bitter. And I can go home, bring it in with me, and take it out on my loved ones, stomping and moping all evening, maybe even getting wasted because I “deserve it.” Then, I wake up feeling crappy because I over-indulged, and still cranky. I wonder what kind of a day I will have?

Feeling glum because I got scolded at work today for a mistake? Well, mistakes, happen. I will correct it tomorrow, and let that glum go, because I have a pretty decent job, and pals to chat with on the bus, and enjoyable plans for my evening. I get to go home to my cozy house full of my loved ones, and life is good, and I sleep like a top. I wonder what kind of a day I will have?

How have I changed from feeling buffeted by my feelings, to being on top of them?

You may already be good at this. I sure wasn’t. I thought my feelings were kind of fixed. I thought they were True. And I certainly didn’t get the difference between feelings and emotions. Emotions are the physical manifestation of my thoughts. Feelings are the moosh of emotions and thoughts that I have been running and running, often based on mis-learnings through my whole life.

What makes me the boss of my thoughts?

Feeling comfortable, enjoying my life, making room for luck; these are things in my control. I get there by using my super powers of imagination, choice, and action! Wahoo!

Three little things to do, and I can change my life. Instead of focusing on the things that drive me crazy, or annoy the pants off me, I can notice the things I love about my job, I love about my family, I love about my home. Instead of hating my commute, I can turn it into valuable time for reading audio books, learning my music, or a new language, or use it to practice stillness.

I can use my super powers to turn my focus to what is so great about my life. to put my problems in perspective, to choose to act and feel like a grownup rather than a tantrum-y toddler.

What makes my life meaningful? Why do I love my life? How do I enjoy?

When I can imagine the gloriousness that is my life right now, when I can see my life without all my negative emotional judgments, I feel fortunate. Feeling fortunate makes me feel grateful. Feeling grateful makes me appreciate what I have. Appreciating what I have feels luxurious. I like feeling luxurious.

How have I changed from bitching about the ring to appreciating the toilet?

(c) Pam Guthrie 2013 all rights reserved 11222013

No comments: