Friday, November 01, 2013

Powering Your Life

Powering Your Life

In the dark ages, I believed that there was nothing I could put my hand to that I couldn’t fail at. I had a lot of support for that notion, which made me try all the harder, and, while I was, more often than not, very successful, all I counted were the failures.

I’m still working on this one, although it has gotten a lot better.

Why am I capable?

As is often the case when we have stuff come up, it seems to have a lot to do with other people when it actually has to do with us; our attitudes, our beliefs, our convictions.

When I take responsibility for my life, when I decide to be a grownup, this is one of the things I will end up addressing over and over, wanting to place responsibility for my stuff on you. Sorry about that.

As long as I believe that you will decide if I am capable, I give you my power.

As long as I believe that you will decide if I am accomplished, I give you my power.

As long as I believe that you will decide if I am worthy, I give you my power.

Why do I choose my power?

One of the most important aspects of personal, and human, evolution is taking personal responsibility for our stuff.

Taking responsibility isn’t about blaming ourselves, it’s about saying, “Yes, I did that,” with my head held high, making amends if I can, and addressing the topic by whatever means I can find to resolve it.

When someone does something to me don’t like, my inclination  to blame them for being crummy to me makes me a victim. When I choose, even unconsciously, to be a victim, I deny my power, and start a spiral that can bring me down so fast my head will spin.

When someone does something in a manner I don’t like, and I take over, I am choosing, even unconsciously, to be a martyr, and I deny my power.

When I hold on tight to beliefs that hurt me, or people who don’t encourage my best self, or occupations that are unsatisfying, my stubbornness causes me to deny my power.

When I bend over backwards to try to satisfy you, please you, win your approval, I deny my power.

When I am acting from my power, your behavior will not trigger me. I respond to my surroundings, I respond to you, I choose my thoughts. I don’t cave in to pressure from the outside.
When I act from my power, I am naturally capable, competent, positive. I am naturally relaxed, peaceful, satisfied. I enjoy bliss and joy easily and frequently. Life is easy and fun.

How have I changed from denying my power to knowing I am capable?

(c) Pam Guthrie 2013 all rights reserved 11012013

No comments: