Saturday, April 06, 2013

Righteousness and Wrongousness


Righteousness and Wrongousness

You’re right. No, I mean it. You are absolutely right. You may have your facts wrong, but as far as your beliefs go, you are always right.

Isn’t that interesting?

Even when our beliefs are really wrong, if we are acting in accord with them, we are right. How’s that for inside out and backwards.

You see where this is going. If I believe that torture is good and useful, I will torture in righteousness, totally guilt-free. Creepy, huh. If I believe that children are property, if I believe in corporal punishment, if I believe in murder for a cause, I can do it all with no remorse.

If I believe that it’s okay to be cruel, if I believe that it’s okay to be disrespectful, if I believe that it’s okay to lie and steal, or neglect my physical well being, then all those things are right.

Except they aren’t. See how tricksy it gets?

So we remember two things. One, causing harm to another or one’s self isn’t right. Two, beliefs are not external Truth, they are thoughts we repeat over and over, and so we can change them.

All we have to do is notice them, correct them, and practice the new thoughts until they are habit. Simple.

But not always as easy as we may like. Because often one of our beliefs is that our belief is some kind of external Truth. Isn’t that amazing? We are incredibly talented crafters of reality, aren’t we? I make it up, or buy into someone else’s made up things, and then I pretend it’s real, then I forget I did both of those things, and I have created a mountain in my world.  Awesome.

Causing harm to another is wrong. Most religions say that. It seems reasonable. I’ll buy that for a nickel.

Causing harm to me seems to fit in with that, I’ll believe that, too.

We are each perfect at our core. Well, I had a profound experience that showed me that, so I will believe that one. Now we are up to fifteen cents.

Make amends when we err. That seems to suggest that everybody makes mistakes, that our behavior isn’t perfect, even if we are. Okay, I accept that.

Misery, pain, and suffering are optional, that is, I can create them with my thoughts. I like that. It means that I can choose not to have misery, pain, and suffering. I will buy that, too.

Two bits worth of beliefs. A nice start. Why am I kind? Why do I take good care of me? How do I know I am perfect? Why do I take responsibility for me? Why am I so positive?

I don’t know about you, but I feel better already.  My natural life is one of joy, fun, peace, satisfaction, love, and engagement. Believing beliefs that support my natural life will get me there faster, and keep me there longer each time.

How have I changed from believing horrible stuff to choosing to believe in my natural life.

(c) Pam Guthrie 2013 all rights reserved 04062013

No comments: